Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rule of the thumb for swap?
Operating Systems Solaris Rule of the thumb for swap? Post 302450227 by Sun Fire on Thursday 2nd of September 2010 03:20:41 AM
Old 09-02-2010
Best way is to really get application requirement. When I have 16GB or more of RAM, I set it to 8GB or 16GB but never more unless specified otherwise.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

USB Thumb Drives

I'm hunting around for thumb drives that aren't working. Something you may have kicking around in a drawer that you don't need any more. One you've upgraded and just don't need. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for you to drop it into an envelope with a few stamps and send it along. I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use GPG for myself on Thumb drive?

I have some sensitive data I would like to keep on a thumb drive. Now I know this is a UNIX/Linux forum and I regret to say that I'm using windows but I'm hoping that is irrelevant. So I install gpg on both windows machines: one at home and the other at work. I encrypt some stuff on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

4. SCO

Occasional Core Dump with hot swap USB Thumb Drive

Hello Unix World, I've been having this issue for the longest time. Here is my setup OS: SCO OpenServer 6.0 with mp4, mp3 Server: Dell PowerEdge 840, 800, 2900 USB Stick: Patriot 16GB High Speed, and many other different brands. Occasinaly while system is running and USB is pluged in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miles556
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move a directory from thumb drive to mac?

I do some scripting during lunch on the macbookpro at work. I have the necessary folders on a thumb drive from my mac at home, and move them with the mv command to the mbpro so I don't have to change the script itself to access the necessary files on the thumb drive, and then change the code again... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
13 Replies

7. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PL/SQL stored proc from ksh just inserts thumb and does nothing

Greeting everyone. Ok, I have spent the past few days googling for this and I keep hitting a wall. Many results brought me here, but the solutions were not quite right for this. Basically my script (ksh) is run with an arg for a csv. My script so far appears to be storing the values from my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezdiggler
4 Replies
VGCREATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGCREATE(8)

NAME
vgcreate - create a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgcreate [--addtag Tag] [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-c|--clustered {y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-l|--maxlogi- calvolumes MaxLogicalVolumes] [-M|--metadatatypetype] [-p|--maxphysicalvolumes MaxPhysicalVolumes] [-s|--physicalextentsize PhysicalExtent- Size[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [ PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS ] VolumeGroupName PhysicalDevicePath [PhysicalDe- vicePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgcreate creates a new volume group called VolumeGroupName using the block special device PhysicalDevicePath. If PhysicalDevicePath was not previously configured for LVM with pvcreate (8), the device will be initialized with the same default values used with pvcreate. If non-default pvcreate values are are desired, they may be given on the commandline with the same options as pvcre- ate. See PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS for available options. Note that the restore-related options such as --restorefile, --uuid, and --physi- calvolumesize are not available. If a restore operation is needed, use pvcreate (8) and vgcfgrestore (8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -c, --clustered {y|n} If clustered locking is enabled, this defaults to y indicating that this Volume Group is shared with other nodes in the cluster. If the new Volume Group contains only local disks that are not visible on the other nodes, you must specify --clustered n. If the cluster infrastructure is unavailable on a particular node at a particular time, you may still be able to use such Volume Groups. -l, --maxlogicalvolumes MaxLogicalVolumes Sets the maximum number of logical volumes allowed in this volume group. The setting can be changed with vgchange. For volume groups with metadata in lvm1 format, the limit and default value is 255. If the metadata uses lvm2 format, the default value is 0 which removes this restriction: there is then no limit. -p, --maxphysicalvolumes MaxPhysicalVolumes Sets the maximum number of physical volumes that can belong to this volume group. The setting can be changed with vgchange. For volume groups with metadata in lvm1 format, the limit and default value is 255. If the metadata uses lvm2 format, the default value is 0 which removes this restriction: there is then no limit. If you have a large number of physical volumes in a volume group with metadata in lvm2 format, for tool performance reasons, you should consider some use of --pvmetadatacopies 0 as described in pvcre- ate(8). -s, --physicalextentsize PhysicalExtentSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Sets the physical extent size on physical volumes of this volume group. A size suffix (k for kilobytes up to t for terabytes) is optional, megabytes is the default if no suffix is present. The default is 4 MB and it must be at least 1 KB and a power of 2. Once this value has been set, it is difficult to change it without recreating the volume group which would involve backing up and restoring data on any logical volumes. However, if no extents need moving for the new value to apply, it can be altered using vgchange -s. If the volume group metadata uses lvm1 format, extents can vary in size from 8KB to 16GB and there is a limit of 65534 extents in each logical volume. The default of 4 MB leads to a maximum logical volume size of around 256GB. If the volume group metadata uses lvm2 format those restrictions do not apply, but having a large number of extents will slow down the tools but have no impact on I/O performance to the logical volume. The smallest PE is 1KB. The 2.4 kernel has a limitation of 2TB per block device. PHYSICAL DEVICE OPTIONS
The following options are available for initializing physical devices in the volume group. These options are further described in the pvcreate man page. -f, --force -y, --yes -Z, --zero y|n --labelsector sector --metadatasize size --pvmetadatacopies copies --dataalignment alignment --dataalignmentoffset alignment_offset EXAMPLES
To create a volume group named test_vg using physical volumes /dev/sdk1, and /dev/sdl1 with default physical extent size of 4MB: vgcreate test_vg /dev/sdk1 /dev/sdl1 SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvdisplay(8), pvcreate(8), vgdisplay(8), vgextend(8), vgreduce(8), lvcreate(8), lvdisplay(8), lvextend(8), lvreduce(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) VGCREATE(8)