Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk - While Loop Error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - While Loop Error Post 302449640 by patkun on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 05:25:13 AM
Old 08-31-2010
I don't use awk much .. so you can try this code below
Code:
# !/usr/bin/sh

while read LINE
do

a=`echo $LINE | cut -d " " -f1`
     b=`echo $LINE | cut -d " " -f2`
     echo "set $a RncFeatureId $b" >> file2.txt

done < file.txt

tail +2 file2.txt >> file3.txt
mv  file3.txt file2.txt

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, thank you
This User Gave Thanks to patkun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Using an if Loop Within a While Loop

Hello All, I am having a problem with an “if loop” within a “while loop” in my Korn Shell program. The basic concept of the program is that it searches for the existence of a series of load files in a load directory, and once it finds one of these files, it begins the following process: · Creates... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonesdk5
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk loop

Hi, Gurus, I have a requirement as following: source data: 103,8,25 I want to get 103 8 25 1_8 103 8 25 9_16 103 8 25 17_24 103 8 25 25_32 103 8 25 33_40 103 8 25 41_48 103 8 25 49_56 103 8 25 57_64 103 8 25 65_72 103 8 25 73_80 103 8 25 81_88 103 8 25 89_96 103 8 25 97_104 103 8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output error while loop through array

Have built this script, the output is what I needed, but NR 6 is omitted. Why? Is it an error? I am using Gawk. '{nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) if (nr != i) print i, nr }' input1.csv >output1.csvinput1.csv 1 9 3 5 4 1 7 6 8 5 10 6 output1.csv > with the missing line number 6. 6 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Syntax error for awk in a loop

can some one please tell me what is the problem with my syntax:confused: I have 100 files in one folder 1. want to read each of the line by line 2. calculate their number of the words between the first word and the last word of each line 3. create file for each file with number of words... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop using awk

hey everybody. i'm tryiing the whole day to solve my problem. i have a file with 500 columns and about 20 rows. i just want to build a for-loop using awk, which tests in the first column a condition for each row, then does the command and next goes further to the next column. so, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helpless
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with For loop

Hi My Requirement is to take the sum of each column below is the input file. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 Initial i was using below command to achieve my desired result. however this was adding the row and not column. i am not able understand why this is happening awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)