Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Correct bash substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Correct bash substitution Post 302449129 by agama on Saturday 28th of August 2010 03:25:47 PM
Old 08-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaejunior
Hi, agama!

It's a set of scripts which are going to be packaged together, they're almost ready, so I would have to check the functionality of them all under another interpreter.
I certainly understand that -- glad you could work round the issue in bash.

Quote:
Code:
exec 3> >(application)

In bash it runs the application, in ksh it redirects the output to the file ?Ê.
Just for the future, that can be done in ksh, though it is a completely different syntax all together:

Code:
command |&

Then use the read/write commands to read/write from/to the application. It's also possible to map the pipe to stdin/out.

Best on your release.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: bad substitution problem...pls help!

I have this situation in my script (simplified): A=C C=10 I need to get number 10 using just A variable. I tried with : echo $`echo $A` - but i get $C string (i need number) Thanks very much for any help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xfouxs
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I perform double substitution in bash?

#!/bin/bash #set -x MAX=255 FILE=$1.dns_list #declare -a d_arr if then echo "Usage: `basename $0` network" echo " e.g.`basename $0` 1.1.1" exit fi echo "Remove file $FILE..." rm $FILE for (( i = 1; i < $MAX; i++ )) do PARSE=$(host $1.${i}) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flee
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/bash - variable substitution.

Is it possible with a bash variable to perform multiple substitution strings to one variable? I have this variable: echo $clock TIMEZONE="US/Central" What I would like to do with bash only it pull out just the "US" part of the variable.. which could be any number of countries. this is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: combine arrays with weird substitution/references

Hi all. I'm trying to finish a bash script with the following elements: ARRAY="blah $ITEM blah blah" ARRAY="blah blah $ITEM blah bluh" #ARRAY="...." # ...the ARRAY elements represent a variable but defined # syntax and they're all hard-coded in the script. #(...) ITEMS='1.0 2.3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yomaya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: correct quoting with find and exiv2?

Hi, I need to embed a metatag to image files which contain qrcodes, i usually do this with exiv -M "set Exif.Image.DocumentName `zbarimg -q -Sdisable -Sqrcode.enable --raw image.tif`" image.tif which works fine. However I need to do this recursivly for whole directory and subdiretory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcframe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, command line substitution

I have one script calling another with a set of strings that includes white space. Script A calls Script B with these input strings: one two "th ree" Script B pulls apart the arguments correctly: arg0 = one, arg1 = two, arg2 = "th ree" if I call it from within Script A like so:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skippyV
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script having variable substitution problems

Hi I am setting the variables like this : setenv MODULE1 modem5__3 setenv MODULE2 modem5__2 setenv MODULE3 modem_ctrl_1_1 setenv MODULE4 modem_1_0 setenv COUNT 10 I am having a bash script as shown below ################################################ #!/bin/bash for ((... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Force command substitution evaluation in bash?

OK, I'm striving to abide by all the rules this time. Here is a fragment of my windows10/cygwin64/bash script: export BUPLOG=$(BackupRecords --log "$src") robocopy $(BackupRecords -mrbd "$src" --path "$src") $(BackupRecords --appSwitches "$src") "$src" "$dst" $(BackupRecords --fileSwitches... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Force command substitution evaluation in bash?

OK, I'm striving to abide by all the rules this time. Here is a fragment of my windows10/cygwin64/bash script: export BUPLOG=$(BackupRecords --log "$src") robocopy $(BackupRecords -mrbd "$src" --path "$src") $(BackupRecords --appSwitches "$src") "$src" "$dst" $(BackupRecords --fileSwitches... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
15 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)