Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut command skips spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut command skips spaces Post 302445591 by zaxxon on Monday 16th of August 2010 09:37:26 AM
Old 08-16-2010
cut -d can take ; as a delimeter for example and any other character you like. awk can even take multiple delimeters.
Don't remove delimeters as they are very helpful.

Maybe this is ok for you:
Code:
IFS=";"

while read A B C D E; do
   echo "A=$A"
   echo "B=$B"
   echo "C=$C"
   echo "D=$D"
   echo "E=$E"
        echo "---- processing next line ----"
done < infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Cron Skips Execution

Hi All, I got a very strange problem, i have created a cron schedule that will run a programme once in every 12 mins, like 04,16,28,40,52 * * * * /myf/startProcessA 1> &- Some time the cron skips the execution such as 04,28 instead of executing at 16 mins. it starts execution at 28, i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sundaram
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

no count of spaces in cut

i want to give numbers to cut without worrying about the spaces; echo "12 345 6 78 9" | cut -c 1-9 echo "123 456 789" | cut -c 1-9 echo "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" | cut -c 1-9 the output of these three must be allways; 123456789 is that posible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Double Spaces for cut command

Hi I have a shell script that looks for running processes in order to kill them. The script (ksh) gets the PID of these processes using the following: PROCS=`ps -fu ${USERID} | egrep "MONITOR" | grep -v grep | cut -d" " -f4` However, I spotted an issue where PID's of different lengths... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wget skips certain files.

I am trying to use wget to automate downloading of some mp3/wav files. However, I can't get it to follow the link to the mp3s. This is the line (it is not really the website): wget -prl 1 http://website.com/alarmsHowever, if I right-click and copy the link on the webpage in firefox, then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include white spaces while using CUT command

Hi I tried to extract 19 characters (default) enclosed with in tag from a file using cut command. If the characters comprises of double space, the cut command gives the output with a single spacing. file 1 <name>Kumar Rajasekaran</name> cut -c7-26 "file1" the out put i received is ... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
48 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote script skips "read" command

This script is supposed to display a file ( crontab ), ask the user if they wish to update the file, then it goes through an update routine. #!/bin/bash FILE=/etc/crontab tail -5 $FILE echo -n "Does crontab need updating" read HOURS ...routines ....etc... Runs locally... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more f skips two pages

Hi, I am new to linux. I am using more command to view the contents of a file. If the file has many pages i am using f to move forward to the next page. But when i press f it skips to two pages instead of one page. i checked the man more. It shows the default is 1. Please share your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokiak810
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)