Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers a lot of Buffer I/O error on device connected to SAN Post 302443668 by kopper on Monday 9th of August 2010 10:43:46 PM
Old 08-09-2010
a lot of Buffer I/O error on device connected to SAN

hi guys

I have a server(x3650 M2) connected to a SAN...it takes a long time to boot with a lot errors like these

any idea how to fix that?
Suse Enterprise 10 SP3

update as soon as I disconnect the HBAs boots up normal and fast and no messages

Code:
 sdi:end_request: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdh, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 209715072
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 26214384
end_request: I/O error, dev sdi, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdi, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdg, sector 209715072
Buffer I/O error on device sdg, logical block 26214384
end_request: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 209715072
printk: 2 messages suppressed.
end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 209715184
 unable to read partition table
sd 5:0:1:1: Attached scsi disk sdh
sd 5:0:1:1: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdi, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
sd 6:0:1:1: Attached scsi disk sdi
sd 6:0:1:1: Attached scsi generic sg9 type 0

end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 3
end_request: I/O error, dev sdg, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdg, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdg, sector 0

thanks a lot

---------- Post updated at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:14 PM ----------

something else

when my Suse 10 SP3 loads when HBA attached I see my LUNs twice

for instance I created LUN1 60GB and I see it twice...? are those 2 related I think the slow load process and the diuplicated LUNs

Last edited by kopper; 08-09-2010 at 09:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap Device & Unix Disk Buffer

Does anyone know if when the Swap Device / Page file in unix is carrying out Page / Swap In's and Page / Swap outs, does it go through the Unix Disk Cache ( I am presuming raw partitions are not being used ) ? Therefore if there is paging activity on a system ( measured by sar -p, sar -g and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

2. Linux

Buffer IO error

Hi guys, Currently i have a IBM x366 running on Red Hat 4 attached to a DS4800. I've configured 10 LUNs to the server. Somehow, there is a lot buffer io error on device whenever it boot and when i issue the command dmesg. My kernel is 2.6.9-22.ELsmp. I've updated the hba qla2300 firmware to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raybakh
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Thoughts/experiences of SAN attaching V880 to EMC SAN

Hi everyone, I wonder if I can canvas any opinions or thoughts (good or bad) on SAN attaching a SUN V880/490 to an EMC Clarion SAN? At the moment the 880 is using 12 internal FC-AL disks as a db server and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It is not I/O, CPU or Memory constrained and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: si_linux
2 Replies

4. AIX

SAN error

Dera all I have error repeating for two day, when I checked the error log by errpt command: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LABEL: SC_DISK_ERR2 IDENTIFIER: 79B0DF89 Date/Time: Wed Oct 31 02:41:36 SAUS Sequence Number: 9000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

SAN Connected RedHat Server

I received 4 pre-loaded ready-to-go intel servers running RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 kernel version 2.6.9-22.18 build date june 29, 2006. They are equiped with QLOGIC 2400 dual-port HBA cards. I need to know what utilities or command-sets are available to check these cards out? How do I get their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallender
4 Replies

6. Solaris

san device information

All, when I do a df -h on a solaris 10 servers I see these san storage filesystems. cx-fibpool/pyp_u2 588G 151M 345G 1% /pyp/u2 cx-fibpool/pyp_u3 588G 151M 345G 1% /pyp/u3 cx-fibpool/pyp_u4 588G 166G 345G 33% /pyp/u4 cx-fibpool/pyp_u5 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
7 Replies

7. AIX

nim mksysb buffer overflow error

Hi, I am trying to backup a system ("client") through a slow network using "nim mksysb" on a nim server ("master") The backup starts, but doesn't success. Thanks if you can help me to resolve this problem : Creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg... Creating list of files to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
2 Replies

8. Solaris

2 x HBA, connected to a SAN, but no Multi path software - What happens ?

Hi there Now, Ive always support servers that used multi path software with dual cards, e.g. powerpath (emc ) / MPXIO. I got asked a question today, that if a solaris 8/9/10 host had 2 HBA cards, but no multipathing software, what would happen ?? Does the HBA card with the highest id on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

DELL M910 with RedHat Linux 5.5 getting "Buffer I/O error on device sdd"

Dear Guru, IHAC who is using Redhat Linux 5 on DELL M910. When system bootup, it show "Buffer I/O error on device sdd" error message. Below is the "dmesg" output. The scenario is: If more external FC SAN disk LUN add, the device would change other name. So it will impact the raw device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
7 Replies

10. Solaris

SAN/Solaris: luxadm shows NOT CONNECTED

Hi, I have a question regarding HBA configuration. Here are the commands' output: # cfgadm -al | grep fc c1 fc-fabric connected unconfigured unknown c2 fc connected unconfigured unknown c5 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
11 Replies
PARTX(8)						       System Administration							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-P|-r|-s|-u] [-t type] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It can also tell the kernel to add or remove partitions from its bookkeeping. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-" (hyphen-minus). For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than as a partition. partx is not an fdisk program - adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line with --show or --raw. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Do not use it in newly written scripts. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format M-N is supported. The range may contain negative num- bers, for example --nr -1:-1 means the last partition, and --nr -2:-1 means the last two partitions. Supported range specifications are: M Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). M: Specifies the lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). :N Specifies the upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). M:N Specifies the lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show, --pairs and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. This option cannot be combined with the --add, --delete, --update or --list options. -P, --pairs List the partitions using the KEY="value" format. -r, --raw List the partitions using the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. The output columns can be selected and rearranged with the --output option. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type. --list-types List supported partition types and exit. -u, --update Update the specified partitions. -S, --sector-size size Overwrite default sector size. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 5 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sdb without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux December 2014 PARTX(8)