Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting created a .alias, but they won't take (ksh) Post 302441651 by guruprasadpr on Monday 2nd of August 2010 01:38:04 AM
Old 08-02-2010
Hi

./.alias - This opens a new child shell and runs. Its not reflected in your current shell(parent)

. ./.alias - Runs the .alias in the same shell in which you are in without invoking a sub shell, and hence the changes are reflected.

Guru.
This User Gave Thanks to guruprasadpr For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Why Won't IF Statement work?

I'm trying to figure out why this if statement won't work: if || $zipcount != 6 ]] then echo ${myline} echo "ZIPCODE WARNING! ${zipcode} ${zipcount}" fi if ]] then echo ${myline} echo "STATE WARNING!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developncode
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why won't my Ksh do math with (( ))?

Hello, I'm usring Ksh on AIX 5.3. For some reason my K-Shell gives me an error when I try to use the math operators (( )). Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks so much! My K-Shell: />ls -al /usr/bin/ksh -r-xr-xr-x 5 bin bin 237420 Apr 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A very simple script, but alias won't work

I am new to unix and therefore I did a lot of reading before posting. So please, if this has been answered before, forgive me for re-posting and point me to the right place for the answer. I have spent many hours searching the net and read over 50 posts in this forum and even tried a few thing but... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssccc
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias in ksh

Hi all, I want to create my own set of alias, possibly place them on a script that I can run manually as a script. I've placed the sequence of alias commands in a file then I logoff and login and run the script manually. That does not seem to work, can anyone please advise how to get this work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias a full path in ksh

Hi again, Maybe a stupid question but I don't know how to solve it.. I want to alias a full_PATH_command.. I mean: /usr/bin/df -Ik TO sudo /usr/bin/df I used alias df='sudo df' but the command run is /usr/bin/df.. Any idea on how to make this alias? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias is ksh

Hello, I am trying to create alias in ksh. alias m=main.ksh It's working just fine but when I log out from my session and relogin the alias is gone. How can i create a permanent alias? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I export an alias and use it in any shell that I want to switch to like bash, ksh

None of the aliases that I set are available if I switch to a different shell. How can I export aliases and make them available in any shell that I switch to like ksh or bash ? I tried these $>alias godata='cd /home/kc/app/data' $>alias -x godata='cd /home/kc/app/data' $>alias |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass a parameter to an alias in ksh?

I want to do something like this: alias cd2="cd /data_saves/$(/opt/bin/util/getcustdb -i $@)" Where /opt/bin/util/getcustdb is an inhouse script to lookup customer db name based on a provided id number Then when I use the alias I can cd2 4567 and have it run "/opt/bin/util/getcustdb -i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JourneyRider
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem with Alias created through script.

Hi Guru's, I am creating alias for db instance running on a server through script, am able to create them based on /etc/oratab entries and can use successfully with the below script. #!/bin/bash SCRIPT_PATH=${HOME}/scripts/db/script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky.b5
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
unalias(1)						      General Commands Manual							unalias(1)

NAME
unalias - Removes alias definitions SYNOPSIS
unalias alias-name... unalias -a Note The C shell has a built-in version of the unalias command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/unalias. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: unalias: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Removes all alias definitions from the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The name of an alias to be removed. DESCRIPTION
The unalias utility removes the definition for each alias name specified. The aliases are removed from the current shell execution environ- ment. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. One of the alias-name operands specified did not represent a valid alias definition, or an error occurred. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of unalias: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: alias(1), csh(1) Standards: standards(5) unalias(1)