Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users calculate logical layout values for hdd Post 302441377 by fpmurphy on Friday 30th of July 2010 11:48:57 AM
Old 07-30-2010
Here is a post which explains how to extract the disk geometry metadata. Hard Disk Metadata

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read from a file and calculate values for a specified field

hi guys im running into a problem here im trying to calculate a sum a values from a field for example a hava a file caled <filename> and it has $3 fields, and i want toextract a group of values from field &1 and compute the sum of values from $3 accordingly this is my code so far... awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucho_1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the percentage for the values in column

Hi, I am having the file which contains the following two columns. 518 _factorial 256 _main 73 _atol 52 ___do_global_ctors 170 ___main 52 ___do_g How can calculate the percentage of each value in the first column ? first need to get the sum of the first column and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleru_raja
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate difference between two successive values

Hi, I have a file containing timestamps (at micro-seconds granularity). It looks like the following: 06:49:42.383818 06:49:42.390190 06:49:42.392308 06:49:42.392712 06:49:42.393437 06:49:42.393960 06:49:42.402115 Now I need a sed/awk script to take the difference of two successive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabet and numeric values repeat again and again on HDD/Linux-Ubuntu

My system is Linux, Ubuntu. I examine my hard disk drive with a hex editor, it's unencrypted, and when I scroll down, using page down in the ASCII section at right showing the alphanumeric and symbols information, the letters of the alphabet repeat from A-Z along with numbers repeating, followed by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: totalrecallz
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to calculate umask values?

Hi, I was trying to understand how to calculate umask value but couldnt get the right way to calculate it. can some one please give me a small formula or easy method to do it? Thanks, Waseem (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
4 Replies

6. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate average of top n% of values - UNIX

Hey guys, I have several huge tab delimited files which look like this: a 1 20 a 3 15 a 5 10 b 2 15 b 6 10 c 3 23 what I am interested is to calculate the average of top n% of data in third column. So for example for this file the top 50% values are: 23 20 (Please note that it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate avg values of csv file using shell scripting .?

hi all i have a reporting work and i want it to be automated using shell scripting kindly let me know how can i make that possibe . eg data are :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avinash shaw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate percent using values in 2 files

Trying to use file1 which is the actual counts in $2 associated with each $1 entry. The total of each $1 is in file2 with the total in $3. So when there is a match between $1 in file1 with $1 in file2, then the % is calculated using the $2 value of file1 and $3 value of file2. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Calculate average from a given set of keys and values

Hello, I am writing a script which expects as its input a hash with student names as the keys and marks as the values. The script then returns array of average marks for student scored 60-70, 70-80, and over 90. Output expected 50-70 1 70-90 3 over 90 0 The test script so far... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
4 Replies
bup-meta(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-meta(1)

NAME
bup-meta - create or extract a metadata archive SYNOPSIS
bup meta --create [-R] [-v] [-q] [--no-symlinks] [--no-paths] [-f file] <paths...> bup meta --list [-v] [-q] [-f file] bup meta --extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --start-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [--no-symlinks] [-f file] bup meta --finish-extract [-v] [-q] [--numeric-ids] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
bup meta either creates or extracts a metadata archive. A metadata archive contains the metadata information (timestamps, ownership, access permissions, etc.) for a set of filesystem paths. OPTIONS
-c, --create Create a metadata archive for the specified paths. Write the archive to standard output unless --file is specified. -t, --list Display information about the metadata in an archive. Read the archive from standard output unless --file is specified. -x, --extract Extract a metadata archive. Conceptually, perform --start-extract followed by --finish-extract. Read the archive from standard input unless --file is specified. --start-extract Build a filesystem tree matching the paths stored in a metadata archive. By itself, this command does not produce a full restora- tion of the metadata. For a full restoration, this command must be followed by a call to --finish-extract. Once this command has finished, all of the normal files described by the metadata will exist and be empty. Restoring the data in those files, and then calling --finish-extract should restore the original tree. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. --finish-extract Finish applying the metadata stored in an archive to the filesystem. Normally, this command should follow a call to --start- extract. The archive will be read from standard input unless --file is specified. -f, --file=filename Read the metadata archive from filename or write it to filename as appropriate. If filename is "-", then read from standard input or write to standard output. -R, --recurse Recursively descend into subdirectories during --create. --numeric-ids Apply numeric user and group IDs (rather than text IDs) during --extract or --finish-extract. --symlinks Record symbolic link targets when creating an archive, or restore symbolic links when extracting an archive (during --extract or --start-extract). This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-symlinks to disable it. --paths Record pathnames when creating an archive. This option is enabled by default. Specify --no-paths to disable it. -v, --verbose Be more verbose (can be used more than once). -q, --quiet Be quiet. EXAMPLES
# Create a metadata archive for /etc. $ bup meta -cRf etc.meta /etc bup: removing leading "/" from "/etc" # Extract the etc.meta archive (files will be empty). $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta -xf ../etc.meta $ ls etc # Restore /etc completely. $ mkdir tmp && cd tmp $ bup meta --start-extract -f ../etc.meta ...fill in all regular file contents using some other tool... $ bup meta --finish-extract -f ../etc.meta BUGS
Hard links are not handled yet. BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org>. Bup unknown- bup-meta(1)