Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) command to check presence of volume Post 302437376 by kevinmmac on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 10:24:11 PM
Old 07-14-2010
command to check presence of volume

Hi:

I'm not really a programmer, but I've created a small logout hook script to copy some specific directories to a server volume when a user logs out (10.6.4). These is a laptop user, so I'm looking find:

1) the command to check if the volume (including path to directory?) is available.

2) the command to stop end the script if the volume/path is not available, but continue with my cp commands if the volume/path is present.

3) do logout hooks run only after all user-launched applications have fully quit? If not, what would be the command(s) to make sure all the apps quit before the script continues? Naturally, I want to be sure the copy commands run only if all the user's apps have quit so there are no open documents.

I've already created an Automator script to do what I want, but can't locate the info on how to make it run during the logout process. I'm more of a GUI person, so if someone knows how to do this, that would be a good answer for me.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check size of Volume Group

Did anyone knows how to check size/usage of a Volume Group in AIX 4.3.3? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
4 Replies

2. AIX

Check quorum for volume group

Hi all, I would like to ensure that a volume group has an effective quorum setting of 1 (or off). I know you can change the quorum setting using the chvg -Q command but want to know if the setting has been changed before the vg was varied on or a reboot. In other words how can I ensure that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: backslash
3 Replies

3. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check presence of input file

My script is taking a file "input.in" as input for running the script. My worry is that i need to execute the script only if the file is present, if it's not don't perform the next commands. Just to have a check at the beginning of the script : If "input.in" exists, then go on. If it's does not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Check disks not in a volume group?

Hello, How can I obtain a lists of disks with their size (anytype: SAN LUNs, internal disks, etc.) attached to the system and not being extended inside a volume group? The purpose of this list is to be part of a function of a script that I'm doing in order to resize filesystems and in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check file for presence of set of strings

hi everybody, I need a quick help with this issue. I have configuration file in which the following set of strings must be present. I need to check it with the bash script (leading spaces are not significant). Check must be case insensitive. Can anybody help? ... any lines <SECTION... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameucho
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the presence of file >size?

Hi, Following script work fine: #!/bin/bash FILE=$1 if ; then echo Yay else echo Boo fi But I would like to add another condition that if FILE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check presence of trigger file

Hi, I make a sftp connection successfully.My requirement is the script shall execute only after i find a trigger file(dailyreport.OK.psv) in the remote dir. If the trigger file is not present ,the script should exit else it should continue with the rest of the scripts statements. Below code is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file presence and delete other file

Hello, I have file all_file.txt at the end of process this file all_file.txt should be deleted only if there is no file present in dir /all_file/tmp/ or in it's sub directory. can you please help me with the peace of code for this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar30213
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep command to detect presence of script run

i have this line of code on a korn shell script to detect the presence of script run: ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` sometimes this returns either 1, 2, or 3. when it returns 2 or 3 that tells us that there are more than 1 script of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
8 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)