Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Learning foreach
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Learning foreach Post 302436568 by prtc on Monday 12th of July 2010 11:06:52 AM
Old 07-12-2010
Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting.
why do the following code

Code:
#!/bin/tcsh
setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/
foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04)
   echo $mix
   cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ 
end

print(copy) only the first mix?

Code:
% ./copyfromcbc.sh 
p00p00

wasn't it supposed to run through all words inside the parenthesis?

thx

Last edited by pludi; 07-12-2010 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach command ?!

SaLAam What is the best way to change a word withing a files name. I know I'm not clear enough I will give example : - I have in /test/test N number of files like this 1662_WAITING 1666_WAITING 1670_DONE 1678_DONE 1663_WAITING 1667_WAITING 1673_WAITING ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach/grep help!

#!/bin/bash foreach x (67402996 67402998) { grep -a x FINAL2006.dat >> MISSING_RECORDS.dat } I'm trying to pass a list to the variable x, and then grep for that string in FINAL2006.dat... Final2006.dat is in the same folder as my .sh file. I call this with a .cmd file... At any rate,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimWork
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach folder

Hi, I'm having a small issue here and I can't get it to work. I'm programming a script for bash and I need to do something to all the folder in a directory. So I'm in the directory and I want to use the foreach statement but I dont know how to reference all the folders of that directory. To make... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi everyone Does anyone know what is wrong with this script. i keep getting errors foreach filename (`cat testing1`) set string=$filename set depth=`echo "$string" echo $depth end the error is the following testing: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' testing: line 1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach question

OK, so I am extremely rusty and am just getting back to Unix after 9 years. I'm stuck on something easy. I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count using foreach

I have a simple csh script that has a simple foreach loop that goes over numbers, from 1 to 10: foreach n(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10) ... end Now I want to expand the script to work on over a hundred consecutive n values. Obviously, typing all the numbers between 1 to 100 is an unreasonable... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcbenus
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach in csh

I have a foreach loop in a csh script and I noticed that it tries to find the files with the pattern *$searchpt* in the file name. I'm confused as I never specified checking for the files. foreach f ( *$searchpt* ) set fnew = `echo $f | awk -v searchpat=$searchpt \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using foreach with two lists

Hi everybody, I'm trying to use a foreach command with two lists. The file.txt looks like this: var1: 100 200 300 var2: 3 6 9 I'm trying to use a foreach command to associate the two variables together. My script looks like this: #! /bin/tcsh set a=(`cat file.txt | grep 'var1' | cut -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonWhite
8 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)