Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting environment variable using shell script Post 302435361 by arun_maffy on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 06:22:09 AM
Old 07-07-2010
Even though I run while returning back to the main menu it doesn't help me because once the script exits the env variables would die, so there is no way I can set the env variable to the parent process ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Setting Environment Variable date

Hi to all... I'm currently running a C++ program in Unix environment and it is dependent to a Unix environment variable with a date value. ex: echo $DateToday 20060403 I want to change that date in my C++ program, changing the value date to 20061120 and revert back to original... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3ck_tm
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variable on a remote solaris machine using shell script

Hi, I am trying to set environment variable on a remote machine. I want to do it by running a shell script Here's what I am doin rsh <remote-hostname> -l root "cd /opt/newclient; . ./setp.sh" In setp.sh, I have ############################# cd ../newlib; export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

3. Programming

Setting environment variable using JNI call

I have function declaration in Java and same function definition written in C programming language.. A JNI call from Java is made to a fuction...Function would set the environment variable { putenv(cEnvString1);} using C-built -in function ..and later return the encrypted string... putenv is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variable in awk

Dear all, I have a data sample... Dose: Summed ROI: Bladder ************************** Bin Dose Volume 001 0.700 100.000 002 0.715 99.998 168 3.142 0.368 169 3.157 0.338 170 3.171 0.292 Dose: Summed ROI:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

5. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Environment variable from value in file

I've searched Google and now this forum. Best guess is my search fu is not good (and it probably isn't). The Google search did bring me here. Background I have a number of Korn Shell scripts who all use one of 3 values for an environment variable used in the backup system. On occasion one or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolfBrother
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically setting of environment variable... Can it be done?

Hi all, I am fairly new to unix scripting and will like to know how to dynamically set the name of an environment variable to be used. We have a .env file where we defined the names and locations of data files, trigger files, directories .... etc Example of variables defined in .env... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morelia
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with setting environment variable

shell script: #!/bin/csh set VAR=12345 echo $VAR will peacefully give the output 12345 at shell. I need to use C++ to do the same in some part of the code: string str = "12345"; retValue="set var1= "+str; system(retValue1.c_str()); system("echo $var1"); This doesn't create a system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshvardhan360
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a environment variable on linux

I want to set a enviroment variable VDC_DIR to a particular directory. I am doing it as export VDC_DIR=/abc it gets set but when i logout and do relogin than its not there. one way could be setting it in .profile file. but i have seen it on another box where it is not present in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STTY Columns Setting Environment Variable?

I am wondering about the following: stty columns 140 I have found that a number of times I need to set my display columns to a high number (such as 140) but I have to do this every time I login to use putty/ssh. Can we set this with an environmental variable so that it is permanent? Also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies
setjmp(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 setjmp(3)

Name
       setjmp, longjmp - non-local goto

Syntax
       #include <setjmp.h>

int setjmp (env)
       jmp_buf env;

void longjmp (env, val)
       jmp_buf env;
       int val;

Description
       The and functions help deal with errors and interrupts encountered in a low-level subroutine of a program.

The function saves its stack environment in env (whose type, jmp_buf, is defined in the <setjmp.h> header file) for later use by It returns
       the value 0.

The function restores the environment saved by the last call of with the corresponding env argument.   After  finishes,	program  execution
       continues  as if the corresponding call of (which must not itself have returned in the interim) had just returned the value val.  The func-
       tion cannot cause to return the value 0.  If is invoked with a second argument of 0, returns 1.	At the time of the second return from  all
       accessible  data  have  values as of the time is called.  However, global variables have the expected values.  For example, those as of the
       time of the

Examples
       #include <setjmp.h>

jmp_buf env;
       int i = 0;
       main ()
       {
	    void exit();

if(setjmp(env) != 0) {
		 (void) printf("value of i on 2nd return from setjmp: %d0, i);
		 exit(0);
	    }
	    (void) printf("value of i on 1st return from setjmp: %d0, i);
	    i = 1;
	    g();
	    /*NOTREACHED*/
       }

g()
       {
	    longjmp(env, 1);
	    /*NOTREACHED*/
       }

If the a.out resulting from this C language code is run, the output is as follows:
       value of i on 1st return from setjmp:0

value of i on 2nd return from setjmp:1
       Unexpected behavior occurs if is called without a previous call to or when the last such call was in a function which has since returned.

Restrictions
       The values of the registers on the second return from are register values at the time of the first call to not those of the Thus, variables
       in a given function can produce unexpected results in the presence of depending on whether they are register or stack variables.

See Also
       signal(2).

RISC								 setjmp(3)