Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to run the script in background, but having a problem Post 302433406 by ajayakunuri on Wednesday 30th of June 2010 01:12:05 AM
Old 06-30-2010
i dont have the script right now. Im at home and will post the script when i go to office tomorrow

---------- Post updated 06-30-10 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous update was 06-29-10 at 12:12 PM ----------

Here's the code:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
addr="ajay.akunuri@wellsfargoadvisors.com"
termAt="6:00:"

rm msg 1>&2 2>/dev/null
touch input.txt

if [ -s input.txt ]
then
:
else
mailx -s "Please enter the job name in input.txt and rerun!" "$addr"
exit 0
fi

while :
do

date | grep "$termAt" > /dev/null 2>&1
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]
        then
                exit 0
        fi
        i=`cat input.txt`
        autorep -j "$i" | grep ' FA ' | awk '{print $1}' > msg
        autorep -j "$i" | grep ' SU ' | awk '{print $1}' > msg

# Send an email if the status of the job is changed

if test -s msg 
        then 
        cat msg | mailx -s "ALERT! Status changed!" "$addr"
        rm input.txt msg
        exit 0
        fi
        sleep 120
done

I want to put the job name in input.txt and read it. But when i run the script in backgrnd using nohup ./Findstatuschange.sh & it is getting stopped by SIGTTIN. Pls help me with this

Last edited by ajayakunuri; 06-30-2010 at 04:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script at background

Hi all, I have a script like: echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat $listn.txt` do send_file $file done normally, I will run the script like: :. resendfile Please input list filename: list1 #Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set schedule to run a script at background while logout

Hi, How can I run a script at 9:00am and 6:00pm everyday? Can I run it at background while I logout my account? Please help!! Many Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: happyv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there away to run script in background within the script

Hello all i have csh script called test.csh , and i need to run it in the background so i do : test.csh & but i wander can i tell within the script source to run it in the background automatically , without giving the user to add the "&" when executing in the shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Best practice to run bash script in background

nohup /bin/bassh $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & nohup $HOME/scripts/test.sh > $HOME/log/test.log 2>&1 & Which is the good practice to run a script in background of above two ? does the first one will have any overhead on the system ? our system is SunOS 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmasals
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

facing problem in starting a process in background using shell script.

hey all, i am working on sun solaris machine and i want to start a process in background using shell script (actually i wanna start tomcat server using shell script). please dont tell me that append a & at last because this is not working in the shell script. i have also used nohup and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtomar
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script in the background with a time interval

I have a script I want to run in the background, and I have looked it up but I am not exactly sure how to do. First of all to run it in the background do you have to put something in the script or is it just a command when you go to run it. I found this solution to it but once again I am not to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script does not work if run in background

Dear All, I am trying to run a script in background like ./scriptname.sh & but when i try to run it in background it is giving me an error "syntax error at line 12: `(' unexpected" at the line 12, there is a function definition "function getFileList()". This script runs fine if i run on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running a program/script in the background from a script

Hi all, I have a script that calls another program/script, xxx, to run in the background. Supposedly this program at most should finish within five (5) minutes so after five (5) minutes, I run some other steps to run the script into completion. My problem is sometimes the program takes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command in background thru script

Dear All, Writing a script in which I want to run a command in background and keep it running even script is finished. I have tried like below, `truss -p <pid> >> & /tmp/log &` But doesnt work.. script goes running and nothing in log file. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deei
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run a shell script in background without showing in the terminal?

Hi Guys, i am having a script which checks for ip address is pingable or not,when i execute this script in terminal it keeps on showing the pinging status of every ip address and it takes more time when i check for 100 ip address,How to do run a script in background without showing in the terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
4 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)