Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PHONY target is not working
Top Forums Programming PHONY target is not working Post 302433373 by paradox242 on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 10:52:38 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Obviously you have the right idea that you want to create a phony target, since any file 'clean' would show as up to date since it has no dependancies.

Your code does not work however because the built-in name for phony targets is actually .PHONY not PHONY. I tested the following to work on a Debian system using GNU make:

Code:

.PHONY: clean
clean:
     rm -f hello.txt bye.txt
     @echo "Files are deleted"

Last edited by paradox242; 06-29-2010 at 12:39 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi, c/source/target g?

hi in vi, i have a file and i wanted to replace all wnix to unix. is the below correct. c/wnix/unix g... i have tried , and the above is not right... help? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Controller target disk?

Hi, I am a newbie to Solaris. I want to know how to find out the controller target and disk number on a SunFire V890 box that has 6X72GB disks. The probe-scsi output is as shown below: /pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@2 LiD HA LUN --- Port WWN --- ----- Disk description ----- 0 0 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhir_shet
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sometimes my until loop misses it's target

Hello all, I wrote a quick function (alarm) in my bash_profile (in cygwin) for practice. It uses until loops to wait for a specified time, and once that time passes triggers a play on a mp3. Most of the time it works, however sometimes it seems like it's looping through too slowly and will miss... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

MakeFile Backup Target

Goal: I'm trying to create a PHONY target inside my Makefile so that when I run the command "make backup", It will move all the files that end in "~" into the specified backup folder. Here is my code currently, and I'll explain the problem after: .PHONY: backup backup: @mkdir -p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xploit
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

target string to delete

Hi all, I have a text file with a lot of records. In each records I have tags like this: =952 \\$aBNCS-CH\\$bBNCS-CH\\$h1989\\$oBNCS-CH0000001\\$pBNCS-CH0000001\\$yJNL =952 \\$aBNCS-C.UNIV\\$bBNCS-C.UNIV\\$h1974-77.\\$oBNCS-C.UNIV0000001\\$pBNCS-C.UNIV0000001\\$yJNL =952... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

swinstall not working with target

Hi, I have installed a software using the command(swinstall -s /Softwares/Game.pkg AngryDog.nwr-cbin @/z_temp). During installation I didn't find any error, also I can find a folder structure(opt/angrydog...) getting created under "/z_temp" and all files are present. But software is not working.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thunderbird288
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Polling target on Serviceguard

Hi Guys, we are planning to enable polling target on our SG in reference to this link MC/ServiceGuard: Subnet Goes Down when one of the Cluster Node is Down - HP Customer Care (United States - English) since our server is already in production can we apply the changes with ex. "cmapplyconf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: batas
1 Replies

8. Programming

multiple Library target

Hi there, I am new to programming on unix and have been handed a legacy system. THe makefile is relatively complicated but i have moslyt figured it out. One issue i cannot figure out is the fact that i now need to create a second output exe. (ie multiple LIRARY_TARGETS with one makefile.) can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthony.x.moss@
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Target string with gsub

Hey guys, I am learning awk and came across gsub and testing the target string to do substitution, what am i missing? Thanks in advance. echo "this is a summer" | awk '{gsub(/er/, "x", "summer"); print}' this is a summer The following works: but i don't understand the why the above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apollo
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

After adding new iscsi target port, still the session state of that target port is showing offline

Hi, I wanted to configure new iscsi port on HPUX system, i added the target port address and configured it, once done, went to array side and searched for that host iqn number , but was nt able to find the same, came to host, then when i ran "iscsiutil -pVS" command it gave me below result ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinay Kumar D
0 Replies
DH_AUTO_CLEAN(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_AUTO_CLEAN(1)

NAME
dh_auto_clean - automatically cleans up after a build SYNOPSIS
dh_auto_clean [buildsystemoptions] [debhelperoptions] [--params] DESCRIPTION
dh_auto_clean is a debhelper program that tries to automatically clean up after a package build. It does so by running the appropriate command for the build system it detects the package uses. For example, if there's a Makefile and it contains a distclean, realclean, or clean target, then this is done by running make (or MAKE, if the environment variable is set). If there is a setup.py or Build.PL, it is run to clean the package. This is intended to work for about 90% of packages. If it doesn't work, or tries to use the wrong clean target, you're encouraged to skip using dh_auto_clean at all, and just run make clean manually. OPTIONS
See "BUILD SYSTEM OPTIONS" in debhelper(7) for a list of common build system selection and control options. -- params Pass params to the program that is run, after the parameters that dh_auto_clean usually passes. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_AUTO_CLEAN(1)