Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers gzip produces different output from the same input Post 302433291 by chebarbudo on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 07:14:37 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Thanks pludi.
The thing is that I ran gzip for the exact same file twice:
Code:
santiago:~$ cp original copy
santiago:~$ gzip copy
santiago:~$ md5sum copy.gz
603343de9a6c295f00dc4759f6919031  copy.gz
santiago:~$ rm copy.gz
santiago:~$ cp original copy
santiago:~$ gzip copy
santiago:~$ md5sum copy.gz
e4da2538a243cb49cf6212a0a20a60ce  copy.gz

How can it be different?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

vgscan produces no output using file descriptors on Oracle Enterprise Linux.

I wrote a simple program which will create a child process to execute a command and the output will be redirected to the file. Please have a look at the following code -> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> void execute(char **argv) { ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiworld
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using piped input to gzip

Can anyone tell me why does'nt the following command work? find /gfp1/home/arijit -name "*.sas7bdat" | gzip I am trying to compress all files with extension sas7bdat with gzip. It gives error message gzip: compressed data not written to a terminal. Use -f to force compression.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bs0409
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output to tar.gzip

I would like to make a listing of files in a large directory and output it to tar.gz. Is it possible to do this in one command? For example; I would like the text output from this command to be outputted to a directory.tar.gz file. ls -al -R /bigdir Is it possible to do it in memory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a shell script to compare two directories and produces the output

Hi, I am using solaris OS 10 and Bash shell.I need a script which will compare the two directories and produces the output. Step 1: In detail say suppoose I have machine one and have a directory dir1. Script should iterate through the directories and subdirectories inside and produce the output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
10 Replies

8. AIX

Gzip status output is not redirecting.

Dear all I am facing issue in one part of my script. in this part i am trying to zip the files but want the status to be redirected to a text file YAMVASSRV02_vas> YAMVASSRV02_vas> cat final_col.sh gzip -cv /data01/oracle/oradata/vas/control/control01.ctl > ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk runs and produces output but with error

When I run the awk below, I get an error message awk -v OFS='\t' '$(NF-1)=="Benign" || ($(NF-2) OFS $(NF-1))=="Likely Benign" {$(NF)=$(NF-2) OFS $(NF-1)} {print $0 }' input awk: cmd. line:1: (FILENAME=VUS FNR=8) fatal: attempt to access field -1 input Chr Start End Ref ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the output of a gzip command intact

how can i get the printf command or the echo command to print the data that are inbetween the first and the last quotes? #!/bin/sh printf '%s\n' "^_<8b>^H^@U<8c>MX^@^Cí=ÙzÚH<97>×ð^Teìn<8c>Ób_<9d><9f>dXd<9b>^N^F7<82>8qâÎ'^K^Y^T<83>D<90>°M^Lý^Hó^Fs5w3ß|s5/ÐýbS%©<84>^DBH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
gst-md5sum-0.8(1)						   User Commands						 gst-md5sum-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-md5sum-0.8, gst-md5sum - get an md5sum of a GStreamer pipeline through md5sink SYNOPSIS
gst-md5sum-0.8 [--verbose] [gst-std-options] [partial-pipeline-description] gst-md5sum [--verbose] [gst-std-options] [partial-pipeline-description] [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-md5sum-0.8 generates MD5 checksums of the data generated by a GStreamer pipeline. In theory, both of the following commands should print out the same checksum: gst-md5sum-0.8 filesrc location=music.mp3 md5sum music.mp3 If the pipeline contains an md5sink element, gst-md5sum-0.8 queries it for the md5sum at the end of pipeline iteration. If the pipeline does not contain an md5sink element, gst-md5sum-0.8 automatically connects an md5sink to the right-hand side of the given pipeline. See gst-launch(1) or the GStreamer documentation for more information on how to create a partial-pipeline-description. gst-md5sum is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-md5sum-X.X. For example, if both gst-md5sum-0.7 and gst- md5sum-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-md5sum runs gst-md5sum-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-md5sum-0.8 and gst-md5sum: --verbose Output verbose information. You can also use -v to specify this option. gst-std-options Standard options available for use with most GStreamer applications. See gst-std-options(5) for more information. The following options are supported by gst-md5sum only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: partial-pipelinePartialppipeline description. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-md5sum --print /usr/bin/gst-md5sum-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-md5sum-0.8 Executable for GNOME help browser /usr/bin/gst-md5sum Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-md5sum-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-complete(1), gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst-typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3), gst-std-options(5) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-md5sum-0.8(1)