Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux rename files using loop with different name Post 302432526 by zaxxon on Friday 25th of June 2010 08:01:06 AM
Old 06-25-2010
Code:
$> ll
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 25. Jun 14:00 .
drwxr-x--- 4 isau isau 4096 25. Jun 13:37 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 14:00 file1.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 14:00 file2.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 14:00 file3.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 25. Jun 14:00 newdir
$> Y=`date +%Y`; D=0; for FILE in file*.dat; do D=`printf "%02d\n" $((D+1))`; mv $FILE newdir/`echo $FILE| sed 's/\./_'${Y}${D}'./'`; done
$> ll newdir
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 25. Jun 13:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 25. Jun 13:58 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 13:58 file1_201001.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 13:58 file2_201002.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 25. Jun 13:58 file3_201003.dat

Suitable up to file99.dat - the printf adds a missing 0 in front of a single digit. Else you might want to increase 02d to whatever number number of digits you encounter.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Rename a File in a loop

Hi All, I am getting all .txt files from a particular directory, as in a following example: for FILE in `echo $v_filename` do done here i need to rename each original file with a new name for e.g. we have 3 files in test directory /test a.txt b.txt c.txt These files are in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepb
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files

Hello, I've a list of file like this img_001 img_22 img_44 and I would rename all with this form photo_0001 photo_0002 photo_0003 photo_0004 suggestions?Thanks to all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files Ax based on strings found in files Bx

Hi, I'm not very experienced in shell scripting and that's probably why I came across the following problem: I do have several hundred pairs of text files (PF00x.spl and PF00x.shd) where the first file (PF00x.spl) needs to be renamed according a string that is included in the second file... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inCH
12 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Rename files without using for loop

Hi, Is it possible to rename files at a time in a directory without using the for loop. (ex: intial filename- abc.txt to abc.tmp or abc.txt.tmp) I need to rename the files in a remote directory to which I'm connecting thru tectia sftp. The commands 'mv', 'for', 'echo' do not work. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files with sed in an until loop (double post)

I want to change the name of some of my files (mypics-0001, mypics-0002, mypics-0003.....mypics-0240) and I want to double check to see if this code is right: x=0 until do sed 's/mypics\-*/bday/g' done Would this change all of my file names to "bday0001....bday0240"? Please let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvpike
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File

Okay so here's something that's confusing me: I have a script that's designed to remove the words "new_" from the front of any file except two exceptions and it looks something like this... for i in new_* do if ] && ]; then j=`echo "$i"|cut -c5-` mv $i $j fi done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in bash loop

I am trying to use sed to rename all .txt files in /home/cmccabe/test. However, I am getting an error that I seems to be putting the files in a new directory s, instead of in the original. Thank you :). bash # rename classified cd /home/cmccabe/test pattern2_old="_classify"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS