Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign words in a string to array Post 302431764 by uday26 on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 02:31:22 AM
Old 06-23-2010
Question Assign words in a string to array

I have a string as "yes why not"

I want to create one array variable with contents as one word per place in array..

for above string,the array variable should contain...

x="yes,why,not"

x[0] = yes
x[1] = why
x[2] = not

Please help me,I am stuck up in the problem since 2 days...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when assign the array with the string index

I come across the problems when assigning the array in the script below . How to use the array with the 'string index' correctly ? When I assign a new string index , the array elements that are previously assigned are all changed .:eek::eek::eek: $ array=211 $ echo ${array} 211 $... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: youareapkman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign a variable to an array

I want to ask the user to enter an X amount of file names. I want to put those names into an array and then loop back through them to verify they are in the directory. 1st- How would I assign the value to an array and what is the correct syntax. 2nd- how would i reference that array after I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvb2727
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text and assign them into array

file.txt : is delimiter: abc:def:ghi jkl:mno: pqr 123:456:789 if I do the cut command, and cut the first column, and echo it out I will get the output: abc jkl 123 How can I assign the column of text that I've cut into Array? e.g If I were to echo array array it will output as:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to array variable

Hi, I have a piece of code as follows: i=0 while read LINE do var = "$LINE" i=$((i+1)) echo "${var}" done < file I want to assign value to the array var. However, when i execute the script i get a error. Please can you help me know what i am missing. I ultimately want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to parse lines in a file into two words and assign the values to two variables

For example, I have a file with below lines containing VOB tags and VOB paths. * /vobs/fts/FTSUSM20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTSUSM20_VOB * /vobs/fts/FTS20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTS20_VOB * /vobs/pmv/PMS_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/cpm/_/PMS_VOB *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign value to array separated by #

Hi all , I have a string like para1#para2#para3 i want to assign para1 as first element para2 as second and so on i tried IFS=# set -A array para1#para2#para3 echo ${array} para1 para2 para3 i want echo ${array} para1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while assign string (words with tab) to a variable

Hi, I have a String(words with tab space) in a file ->file1.txt 0xxxx 11 test $aa$ 8.43 when i read the file and assign to variable value=$(cat file1.txt) echo $value i get the output without tab spaces. 0xxxx 11 test $aa$ 8.43 How to assign string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign an shell array to awk array?

Hello All, Can you please help me with the below. #!/bin/bash ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5 EXTRACT_DT:30-SEP-12 VER_NUM:1" ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign correct values to the multiple words?

The file1 contains mistakes and looks like 1 No one have never become rich by giving. Anne Dickens 2 No one is worthless in this globe who lightens the weights of other. Charles_Dickens file2 contains the correction of words and looks like rich poor have has never ever... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign Two Dimensional Array In Bash At Once

Hi, I have a 10*10 two dimensional array. How do I assign value to all it's 100 elements at once? I don't want to open two for loops and assign one by one. Thanks, Shuri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shurimano
1 Replies
COMPACT(3)								 1								COMPACT(3)

compact - Create array containing variables and their values

SYNOPSIS
array compact (mixed $varname1, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Creates an array containing variables and their values. For each of these, compact(3) looks for a variable with that name in the current symbol table and adds it to the output array such that the variable name becomes the key and the contents of the variable become the value for that key. In short, it does the opposite of extract(3). Any strings that are not set will simply be skipped. PARAMETERS
o $varname1 -compact(3) takes a variable number of parameters. Each parameter can be either a string containing the name of the variable, or an array of variable names. The array can contain other arrays of variable names inside it; compact(3) handles it recursively. RETURN VALUES
Returns the output array with all the variables added to it. EXAMPLES
Example #1 compact(3) example <?php $city = "San Francisco"; $state = "CA"; $event = "SIGGRAPH"; $location_vars = array("city", "state"); $result = compact("event", "nothing_here", $location_vars); print_r($result); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [event] => SIGGRAPH [city] => San Francisco [state] => CA ) NOTES
Note Gotcha Because variable variables may not be used with PHP's Superglobal arrays within functions, the Superglobal arrays may not be passed into compact(3). SEE ALSO
extract(3). PHP Documentation Group COMPACT(3)