Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirecting output retaining the input Post 302429253 by kiran1112 on Sunday 13th of June 2010 11:41:38 PM
Old 06-14-2010
redirecting output retaining the input

Hi Guys,

I am trying to redirect output from a file to another file while retaining the contents of the input file.
For ex:
cat /tmp/Out1.cfg > test.txt
Now, test.txt would contain the value of Out1.cfg.,ie say for ex "12"
What i require is to have the value as "/tmp/Out1.cfg 12" in the output file.
Smilie
Is there any way to achieve this? Please let me know..
Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Kiran

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining Spaces while redirecting output

I need to merge data from more than one file and I am using while read line_record do field1=`echo $line_record | awk -F "," '{ print $1 }'` echo $line_record >> $outFile if then while read new_linerec do echo $new_linerec... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrakesh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting 'find' output...

Hi all, why does one version of this command work but not the other? - This file already exists with 644 mod permissions - I am logged in as d269836, no su rights. - Box is 'SunOS' running bash I think; but runs ksh scripts OK. This one works: find /users/d269836 -type f -name "*.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan-e
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting output using if-then-else in awk

I am trying to filter records based on number of "|", delimiter in my application. If number of "|" is greater than 14 its a bad record, else its a good record. I have to redirect output to two different files based on the if-then-else evaluation in AWK. if number of “|” in file_0 > 14 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining file versions based on input parameter

Hello Forum. I have the following files in one directory: abc_july01_2013.txt abc_july02_2013.txt abc_july03_2013.txt abc_july04_2013.txt abc_july05_2013.txt abc_july06_2013.txt abc_july07_2013.txt abc_july08_2013.txt If I want to be able to keep the last 5 versions of the file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls HELP: Redirecting input to SFTP connection

Hi, Can somebody please let me know if we can redirect variable value to the sftp connection. I am trying to run the attached snippet but facing an error. dev@UAT.com> export USER1=ftp dev@UAT> export HOST1=XX.XX.XX.XX dev@UAT> export INPUTDATA2='lcd /Z02/apps/output/UAT/CMUP/incoming cd... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, I have created script which redirect the output to file.I am able to get the output in file but not in the format. Output :Content of the log which have 10 -15 lines. Actal :Line1 ..Line 2Line3 Line4 Line 5 Expected:Line1 Line 2 Line3 Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik771
7 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)