Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List all file names that contain two specific words. Post 302429128 by alister on Saturday 12th of June 2010 06:21:23 PM
Old 06-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drl
Hi.

Appropriate versions of find are very flexible:
Code:
find . -regextype posix-extended -regex '.*((A.*B)|(B.*A)).*'

You really don't need to resort to non-standard extensions for this situation, though. The following will accomplish a similar task while using only standardized primaries:
Code:
find . -name '*A*' -name '*B*'

I said "similar" because your approach, -regex, matches against the entire path, while -name only matches against the base name (which may be preferable).

However, I interpreted the original poster's problem statement differently. I took it to mean that the two words/characters being searched for are not in the filename but in the file's contents.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 06-12-2010 at 07:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search File for Specific Words

I have a file that contains the following: Mon Dec 3 15:52:57 PST 2o007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790881200.TXT - exit code=107 Tue Dec 4 09:08:57 PST 2007: FAILED TO PROCESSED FILE 200712030790879200a.TXT - exit code=107 This file also has a lot more stuff since it is a log file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mevasquez
2 Replies

3. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To fetch specific words from a file

Hi All, I have a file like this,(This is a sql output file) cat query_file 200000029 12345 10001 0.2 0 I want to fetch the values 200000029,10001,0.2 .I tried using the below code but i could get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Reading a file for specific words

Hi I have a script where the user calls it with arguments like so: ./import.sh -s DNSNAME -d DBNAME I want to check that the database entered is valid by going through a passwd.ds file and checking if the database exists there. If it doesn't, the I need to send a message to my log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a test file for specific words

I have the need to search a text file from my unix script to determine if it contains the strings of: 'ERROR' and/or 'WARNING'. By using Grep I can search the file and return a where one of these strings exists. Like this: cat myfile.txt | grep ERROR Output: PROCESS ERROR HERE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Non-root script used search and list specific key words

Hy there all. Im new here. Olso new to terminal & bash, but it seams that for me it's much easyer to undarsatnd scripts than an actual programming language as c or anyother languare for that matter. S-o here is one og my home works s-o to speak. Write a shell script which: -only works as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Crisso2Face
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List all file names that contain two specific words. ( follow up )

Being new to the forum, I tried finding a solution to find files containing 2 words not necessarily on the same line. This thread "List all file names that contain two specific words." answered it in part, but I was looking for a more concise solution. Here's a one-line suggestion... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Symbo53
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace some specific words from file?

I have the file like this. cat 123.txt <p> <table border='1' width='90%' align='center' summary='Script output'> <tr><td>text </td> </tr> </table> </p> I want to replace some tags and want the output like below. I tried with awk & sed commands. But no luck. Could someone help me on this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
4 Replies
wc(1)								   User Commands							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - display a count of lines, words and characters in a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/wc wc [-c | -m | -C] [-lw] [file]... ksh93 wc [-c | -m | -C] [-lLqw] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/wc wc reads one or more input files and, by default, writes the number of NEWLINE characters, words and bytes contained in each input file to the standard output. wc also writes a total count for all named files, if more than one input file is specified. wc considers a word to be a non-zero-length string of characters delimited by white space (for example, SPACE, TAB). See iswspace(3C) or isspace(3C). ksh93 The wc built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when wc is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/wc or /usr/bin/wc executable. wc reads one or more input files and, by default, for each file writes a line containing the number of NEWLINEs, words, and bytes contained in each file followed by the file name to standard output in that order. A word is defined to be a non-zero length string delimited by iss- pace(3C) characters. If more than one file is specified, wc writes a total count for all of the named files with total written instead of the file name. By default, wc writes all three counts. Options can specified so that only certain counts are written. The -c, -C, and -m options are mutu- ally exclusive. If no file is specified, or if the file is -, wc reads from standard input and no filename is written to standard output. The start of the file is defined as the current offset. -c --bytes | chars List the byte counts. -l --lines List the line counts. -L --longest-line | max-line-length List the longest line length. -m | C --multibyte-chars List the character counts. -q --quiet Suppress invalid multi-byte character warnings. -w --words List the word counts. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Counts bytes. -C Same as -m. -l Counts lines. -m Counts characters. -w Counts words delimited by white space characters or new line characters. Delimiting characters are Extended Unix Code (EUC) charac- ters from any code set defined by iswspace(). If no option is specified, the default is -lwc (counts lines, words, and bytes.) OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of wc when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of wc: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/wc +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cksum(1), ksh93(1), isspace(3C), iswalpha(3C), iswspace(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Mar 2008 wc(1)