Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Local network?
Special Forums IP Networking Local network? Post 302427700 by mghis on Monday 7th of June 2010 02:42:00 PM
Old 06-07-2010
THANKS! Smilie

Pc 1:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

eth1 connected to the modem

Pc 2: (only one Ethernet port)
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.3

So; if i do a
Code:
ping 192.168.1.3

on the first PC, it should work.

Thanks again!! Smilie

PS: there are differences between the cross-over Ethernet cable solution and the router solution? What is the fastest? Thanks!

PPS: On the pc2 should I see the Internet?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

can i force connecting to local web server via internet network ?

Hello all this is general question , if i have web server installed in my local pc and i have client that connecting to that web server can i force it always to go via the internet network ? the reason im asking is .. that im noticed when i close my internet connection i still can connect to my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Gentoo

Install over local network

hello all, anyone can point to some good basic tutorial/howto (independent, not specific to any distro) about how to install linux over LAN from one PC with working linux distro to another PC without cdrom and floppy-just over LAN? Thanks in advance ! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vampirex
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

4. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

5. Linux

How to setup local IPv6 network

Hello everyone, I have question how i can setup local ipv6 network ? Here is my network: I have main ipv6 gw and server X for example that is connected with my main ipv6 gw and all ping6, traceroute6 is working. My local network is connected to one switch and main ipv4 gateway is that server X... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gild
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all Host on local network

Hello guys, I would like to develop a script which takes a host name as argument and displays a message whether the host is on the local network or not. How can I accomplish that? Is there a file or command that I can use to list all host on the local network? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making webpy framework accessible from outside the local network

I am using ubuntu 12.04.03. I have some basic experience with webpy and I had it working for my LAN just by following the tutorial. The framework needs to be able to be used from outside the local network. I have difficulty seeing how to make the framework accessible from outside the lan. I tried... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file from local network and add it to MYSQL

Hello, i need some help. I have a Debian machine in network, which is a web server. I need to copy every day files from local network to MySQL table. Now it is done manually and i am just adding them from web panel (backend) and saving it's binary, extension and etc. Can i automaticly do this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dyrem
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Local Network Speed

Dear All, I have an intel NUC running CentOS 7 and physically connected to my Netgear CBVG834G router. They both have Gigabit Ethernet cards and supposedly a top notch network cable connecting the two devices. But when I run ethtool the connection is only running at 100Mbit/s What can I do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies
CARP(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   CARP(4)

NAME
carp -- Common Address Redundancy Protocol SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device carp [count] DESCRIPTION
The carp interface is a pseudo-device which implements and controls the CARP protocol. carp allows multiple hosts on the same local network to share a set of IP addresses. Its primary purpose is to ensure that these addresses are always available, but in some configurations carp can also provide load balancing functionality. A carp interface can be created at runtime using the ifconfig carpN create command. To use carp, the administrator needs to configure at minimum a common virtual host ID and virtual host IP address on each machine which is to take part in the virtual group. Additional parameters can also be set on a per-interface basis: advbase and advskew, which are used to con- trol how frequently the host sends advertisements when it is the master for a virtual host, and pass which is used to authenticate carp advertisements. Finally carpdev is used to specify which interface the carp device attaches to. If unspecified, the kernel attempts to set carpdev by looking for another interface with the same subnet. These configurations can be done using ifconfig(8), or through the SIOCSVH ioctl. Additionally, there are a number of global parameters which can be set using sysctl(8): net.inet.carp.allow Accept incoming carp packets. Enabled by default. net.inet.carp.preempt Allow virtual hosts to preempt each other. It is also used to failover carp interfaces as a group. When the option is enabled and one of the carp enabled physical interfaces goes down, advskew is changed to 240 on all carp interfaces. See also the first example. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.log Log bad carp packets. Disabled by default. net.inet.carp.arpbalance Balance local traffic using ARP. Disabled by default. EXAMPLES
For firewalls and routers with multiple interfaces, it is desirable to failover all of the carp interfaces together, when one of the physical interfaces goes down. This is achieved by the preempt option. Enable it on both host A and B: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.preempt=1 Assume that host A is the preferred master and 192.168.1.x/24 is configured on one physical interface and 192.168.2.y/24 on another. This is the setup for host A: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1/24 netmask 255.255.255.0 The setup for host B is identical, but it has a higher advskew: # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 Because of the preempt option, when one of the physical interfaces of host A fails, advskew is adjusted to 240 on all its carp interfaces. This will cause host B to preempt on both interfaces instead of just the failed one. In order to set up an ARP balanced virtual host, it is necessary to configure one virtual host for each physical host which would respond to ARP requests and thus handle the traffic. In the following example, two virtual hosts are configured on two hosts to provide balancing and failover for the IP address 192.168.1.10. First the carp interfaces on Host A are configured. The advskew of 100 on the second virtual host means that its advertisements will be sent out slightly less frequently. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 The configuration for host B is identical, except the skew is on virtual host 1 rather than virtual host 2. # ifconfig carp0 create # ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 advskew 100 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 # ifconfig carp1 create # ifconfig carp1 vhid 2 pass mekmitasdigoat 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 Finally, the ARP balancing feature must be enabled on both hosts: # sysctl -w net.inet.carp.arpbalance=1 When the hosts receive an ARP request for 192.168.1.10, the source IP address of the request is used to compute which virtual host should answer the request. The host which is master of the selected virtual host will reply to the request, the other(s) will ignore it. This way, locally connected systems will receive different ARP replies and subsequent IP traffic will be balanced among the hosts. If one of the hosts fails, the other will take over the virtual MAC address, and begin answering ARP requests on its behalf. Note: ARP balancing only works on the local network segment. It cannot balance traffic that crosses a router, because the router itself will always be balanced to the same virtual host. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), sysctl(3), arp(4), arp(8), ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The carp device first appeared in OpenBSD 3.5. BSD
October 16, 2003 BSD