Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C pointer/array duality confusion Post 302427605 by gorga on Monday 7th of June 2010 08:15:35 AM
Old 06-07-2010
C pointer/array duality confusion

Hi all,

Can anyone provide help with getting the right syntax regarding array/pointers in C in the following code? Can't locate a specific example which clarifies this...

Say I declare a typedef to an array of pointers to some type...

Code:
/**
* An array of ptrs to sections
*/
typedef section_t* region_t[SECTION_LENGTH];

So now a "region_t" is an array of pointers to "section_t", "SECTION_LENGTH" long.
And now I declare a struct which contains an array of these...

Code:
typedef struct container
{
    region_t regions[N_THREADS];
}container_t;

And I have a static instance of the container type...

Code:
static container_t ctn;

In the same file as the ctn variable. I have a function which needs to access these region arrays...

Code:
region_t region = ctn.regions[nth];

But the compiler complains of an "invalid initializer". But this array would have been initialised being a member of a static variable. I don't want to initialise it, just access it. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong here and how, if possible to declare a variable that access the elements of "region" like a regular array variable, i.e...

Code:
  region[i]->section_t_data_member = x;

Any help much appreciated. As I say, couldn't find an example which clarifies this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confusion (file pointer and file descripter)

Hi everybody, i am newbie to unix and confused with file pointers and file descripters. could anyone help me to clear my doubts .. when we call unix system calls to create a file then we are dealing wih file descripters i think file descripters are also normals file as stored inhard disks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

5. Programming

structure pointer array as function parameters

if i create an array of pointers to a structure "struct node" as: struct node *r; and create "n" number of "linked lists" and assign it to the various struct pointers r using some function with a return type as structure pointer as: r=multiplty(.......) /*some parameters*/ is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mscoder
2 Replies

6. Programming

Unclear pointer and array

Hello, The purpose of the program is to print a sub string from the prompt inputs. I do not understand why char pointer does not work but char array will for line 40 and Line 41. ./a.out thisisatest 0 8 substring = "thisisat"And my code is: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
29 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer confusion

Here are two programs that pass a pointer to a variable but behave differently. Shouldnt the i in second program be 0 after the function call? #include<stdio.h> void changeI(int *i) { *i = 10; } int main(void) { int i=5; printf("%d before\n", i); changeI(&i); printf("%d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System and Storage Array Confusion

Hi Friends, I have a host(Suse Linux 10.4) which has 2 luns presented from 2 different arrays HP eva and xp. we are planning to migrate hp eva to 3par. When i look for physical volume i see /dev/dm-4, /dev/dm-5, /dev/dm-7and when i look for multipath -ll i see dm-8,dm-9,dm-7. So i can't confirm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna529
6 Replies

9. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies

10. Programming

Pointer for 2D array seems to be 3D in C

I am struggling with the pointer to 2D-array (cf: 2D array of pointers). Can anybody help me elaborate how the pointer x moves in the memory to access the individual of y, especially the high lighted lines? I have talked to one of the curators of the forum, but I am still not quite clear. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yifangt
1 Replies
RESET(3)								 1								  RESET(3)

reset - Set the internal pointer of an array to its first element

SYNOPSIS
mixed reset (array &$array) DESCRIPTION
reset(3) rewinds $array's internal pointer to the first element and returns the value of the first array element. PARAMETERS
o $array - The input array. RETURN VALUES
Returns the value of the first array element, or FALSE if the array is empty. EXAMPLES
Example #1 reset(3) example <?php $array = array('step one', 'step two', 'step three', 'step four'); // by default, the pointer is on the first element echo current($array) . "<br /> "; // "step one" // skip two steps next($array); next($array); echo current($array) . "<br /> "; // "step three" // reset pointer, start again on step one reset($array); echo current($array) . "<br /> "; // "step one" ?> SEE ALSO
current(3), each(3), end(3), next(3), prev(3). PHP Documentation Group RESET(3)