Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NULL in between, at begining or at end of line - convert to space Post 302427115 by sudhamayeev on Friday 4th of June 2010 02:37:47 AM
Old 06-04-2010
use sed

https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...using-sed.html

Code:
sed 's/||/| |/g;s/||/| |/g' inputfile > outputfile

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-04-2010 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to see space, tab, end of the line chracters

what can I use ?? In vi, I can use :set list <-- and see end of line $.. or use cat -A but I am wondering if there is command or program that allows me to see all the hidden characters( space, tab and etc) Please help thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline?

How to convert ^M appearing at end of line to unix newline? As I have tried with ^M in 'tr' it replaced ^ to a newline. Thanks in advance. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
21 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can I read the space in the end of line

cat file1|while read i do echo "$i"|wc done with this command the space in the end of the line not considered how can solve that for example: read h "hgyr " echo "$h"|wc 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ehab
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete blank space in begining of line

Hi All, below is my data file file.txt $$0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 $$0 ServerB LAN1 AAA IT02 04/30/2008 09:16:26 here $ is a blank space how to delete first 2 blank spaces in a file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace space and end-of-line

Hi ! I'm rather new with sed ... learned a lot already by googling etc ... The following script should replace all spaces and ends-of-lines with "something (see below). #!/bin/bash i=0 while read line do fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`" echo $line | sed -e 's//\t'$fam'\n/g' i=$(($i+1))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace end of line with a space

for eg: i have i/p file as: ================ i wnt to change end of line ================= my require ouput is like: i wnt to change end of line ==================== (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

matching 3 digits at the begining and the end of the line

I have a file with hundreds of records and I need to find those records that have three digits at the beginning and the same three digits at the end. $GREP '\(\)\(\)\(\)\3\2\1'I believe this is part of the script but I am not sure how to compare these 3 digits with the 3 digits at the end of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Rows to Space Delimited Line

Hello, I would like to convert a list of rows to a space separated line. Any ideas? Input file: "Administration Tools" "Design Suite" "Dial-up Networking Support" "Editors" desired output "Administration Tools" "Design Suite" "Dial-up Networking Support" "Editors" Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Add space at the end of each line in linux

hi,. I am writing a small script in csh... Can any one tel me how to add space at end of each line in a file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manju87
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

my shell now adds extra space at end of each line!

Hi, Since today, with csh or tcsh, if I do 'ls files* > list', every lines end with an extra space! What happenned? What can I do to go back when there was no extra space? If I change to bash, there's no extra space. Thanks, Patrick ---------- Post updated at 03:19 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trogne
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)