Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Accessing Multiple files using for loop Post 302426874 by fidelis on Thursday 3rd of June 2010 07:08:34 AM
Old 06-03-2010
Question Accessing Multiple files using for loop

Hi All,

I have some files in my directory, and i want to pull all data using for loop....I am using following code but getting error..!

Code:
for file in {file1, file2, file3, ..... filen}
do
 L="$(tail -1 $file)";NUM=${L%%|*};DAT=${L##*|}
 echo $NUM>>filedata.txt
done

Error:
Code:
tail: cannot open input
tail: cannot open input

i tried with other codes, some gave blank data and some something else.....but can understand where the prob is.... Smilie

please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed inside bash script - accessing multiple files

I have a file (email) containing email addresses. I have a second file (terms) that contains simple regular expressions and words/characters. Here are some examples: \.trainee \.group \.web I want to go through email and delete lines containing the expressions/words from terms and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop, calling and editing multiple files inside

hey guys, I'm trying to call and modify multiple files inside the for loop, i can't get it to work... ------------------------ AFILE=/dir/a_file.txt BFILE=/dir/b_file.txt CFILE=/dir/c_file.txt ADESTFILE=/dir/a_dest_file.txt BDESTFILE=/dir/b_dest_file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read and edit multiple files using a while loop

Hi all, I would like to simply read a file which lists a number of pathnames and files, then search and replace key strings using a few vi commands: :1,$s/search_str/replace_str/g<return> but I am not sure how to automate the <return> of these vis commands when I am putting this in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing variable from while loop

Hi all, Here is an outline of the problem: #variable declared at start of script x=0; #a function that increments x by 1 every 10 seconds incrementX(){ increments x every 10 seconds; } #i want this to output the value of x every second. The problem is that x is always reported... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: free2rhyme2k
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a for loop to manipulate multiple files

Hi, I have 1000 text files in a folder that are labeled data1.txt all the way to data1000.txt. I want to write a small script that manipulates the text files in this way: (1) cut the 2nd and 9th columns of the text files (2) sort by the numerical value in the 9th column (3) then save the rows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FOR loop with multiple files as input and awk

Hi all , i want to pass multiple files as input to a for loop for i in file1 file2 file3 do some awk action < $i >> $i.out done but im getting error in that for loop is the way i use to pass files to awk using for correct and 2.we can directly pass multiple files to awk as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zozoo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop for multiple files

Hi I need to loop until some files are not there .If lck file is there I need to sleep.until its not there I am writing a code like this while && && do echo "Lck file exits" sleep 1 done But this one is not working.Can some one help here please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing multiple directories in loop

Hi Guys, I need to access multiple directories whcih is following similar structure and need to copy those files in desitination path. for eg : if ] then cd ${DIR}/Mon/loaded echo "copying files to $GRS_DIR" cp * ${DIR}/Mon/ echo "Files of Monday are Copied" fi if ] then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through multiple files in bash script

Hi Everybody, I'm a newbie to shell scripting, and I'd appreciate some help. I have a bunch of .txt files that have some unwanted content. I want to remove lines 1-3 and 1028-1098. #!/bin/bash for '*.txt' in <path to folder> do sed '1,3 d' "$f"; sed '1028,1098 d' "$f"; done I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BabyNuke
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Multiple Files in the For Loop

while IFS= read -r line do # sV for version detection nmap -T4 -Pn -v -sS "$line" > "text/$line" done < <(grep '' $file) Hi, where line represents the IP. I am using NMAP to do scanning. How can I set to execute that command in the loop several concurrently at a time instead of one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)