Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Logging out idle users after a certain timeframe Post 302426670 by goose25 on Wednesday 2nd of June 2010 01:46:49 PM
Old 06-02-2010
#!/bin/bash

who -u | cut -c 1-10,38-50 | egrep "[1-9]:|old" > /tmp/idle$$

for idleSession in `cat /tmp/idle$$ | awk '{print $3}'`
do
if [ -t 0 ]; then
echo killing session $idleSession
fi
kill -9 $idleSession
done

This script seems to do the trick but I'm not sure that it's really using idle time in order to kill the sessions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

2. AIX

Log off idle users

How to set a timer for log out users that have been idle for a long time? It is a AIX 5L (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle users

I am trying to write a script that will list the idle users on my system which is running HPUX 11.11. The script is currently written as : who -u > /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " There are currently... " wc -l /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " User logins on System : `uname -n` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idle users over 1 day

Please help, im modifing an idle script to capture (not kill) users who havee been idle over a time. now i've got to work with the exection of users whos idle time gove over 24 hrs and becomes "old". please advice on how to correct... #Clear old report, generate new data and new report echo "\n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need a scipt to email users with idle processes!?

hello, i am VERY new to this whole script world. I need to come up with a script that will email a user if they have an idle process past 500 minutes...any suggestions??? Thanks so much. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheppy28
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX users get logged off while idle.

Im "supporting" at least 2500 HP-UX workstations with CAD-related software with the B.11.11 build. I cant say anymore than that because of my companys sligtly paranoid security policy . The last few days a new problem has arised from nowhere. The problem is that users gets logged off when the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laoinjo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing idle users TIA

I wrote a script to kill users idle more than 1/2 hour, ignoring those in an exception list. Here is the script as it is now: #! /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { system("who -u | sort +5 > /tmp/loginfile"); system("echo User Sessions Killed > /tmp/killedlogins"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PapaBear
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

10. AIX

Telnet sessions stay as idle users

Hi The telnet sessions stay as idle users. It is not getting kicked out. Please advise what could be the issue. only when we reboot the server these telnet sessions goes. Below is the current output from the server. we rebooted the server three days ago: pmut6:/> uptime 04:21PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies
AXCTL(8)						   Linux System Managers Manual 						  AXCTL(8)

NAME
axctl - Configure/Kill running AX.25 connections. SYNOPSIS
axctl [-v] port dest src window|t1|t2|t3|n2|idle|paclen|kill [parm] DESCRIPTION
The axctl command is designed to be a multi-function command that allows miscellaneous commands to be issued to the Linux AX.25 protocol layer for existing AX.25 connections. The connection is uniquely identified via the combination of port, destination callsign and source callsign, with that information the kernel is able to change the parameters, or abort the connection. Many of the options are similar to those found in axparms and perform the same function. Only one parameter may be changed on each invoka- tion of axctl. OPTIONS
-v Displays the version number. window window Sets the window size for the AX.25 connection. t1 t1-timeout Sets the initial T1 timeout value for the AX.25 connection, the value is given in seconds. t2 t2-timeout Sets the T2 timeout value for the AX.25 connection, the value is given in seconds. t3 t3-timeout Sets the T3 timeout value for the AX.25 connected, the value is given in seconds. n2 n2-count Sets the maximum number of tries for the AX.25 connection. idle idle-timeout Sets the value for the idle timer for the AX.25 connection, the value is in minutes. paclen paclength Sets the maximum packet length that may be transmitted on the AX.25 connection. kill Will abort an existing AX.25 connection. FILES
/etc/ax25/axports SEE ALSO
call(1), getsockopt(2), setsockopt(2), ax25(4), axparms(8), axports(5). AUTHORS
Joerg Reuter DL1BKE <jreuter@poboxes.com> Linux 2 August 1996 AXCTL(8)