Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Logging out idle users after a certain timeframe Post 302426651 by jlliagre on Wednesday 2nd of June 2010 12:34:05 PM
Old 06-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose25
Setting the TMOUT varialbe works but does not really accomplish what i want to accomplish. It closes the active terminal windows but does not accomplish a logout of the user. Is there no way to logoutout the user after a certain timeframe?
It would help then if you tell how the users do log in and what these non terminal windows you are referring to are.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

2. AIX

Log off idle users

How to set a timer for log out users that have been idle for a long time? It is a AIX 5L (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding idle users

I am trying to write a script that will list the idle users on my system which is running HPUX 11.11. The script is currently written as : who -u > /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " There are currently... " wc -l /home/rfm/scripts/user.txt echo " User logins on System : `uname -n` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idle users over 1 day

Please help, im modifing an idle script to capture (not kill) users who havee been idle over a time. now i've got to work with the exection of users whos idle time gove over 24 hrs and becomes "old". please advice on how to correct... #Clear old report, generate new data and new report echo "\n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need a scipt to email users with idle processes!?

hello, i am VERY new to this whole script world. I need to come up with a script that will email a user if they have an idle process past 500 minutes...any suggestions??? Thanks so much. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheppy28
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX users get logged off while idle.

Im "supporting" at least 2500 HP-UX workstations with CAD-related software with the B.11.11 build. I cant say anymore than that because of my companys sligtly paranoid security policy . The last few days a new problem has arised from nowhere. The problem is that users gets logged off when the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laoinjo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing idle users TIA

I wrote a script to kill users idle more than 1/2 hour, ignoring those in an exception list. Here is the script as it is now: #! /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { system("who -u | sort +5 > /tmp/loginfile"); system("echo User Sessions Killed > /tmp/killedlogins"); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PapaBear
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

10. AIX

Telnet sessions stay as idle users

Hi The telnet sessions stay as idle users. It is not getting kicked out. Please advise what could be the issue. only when we reboot the server these telnet sessions goes. Below is the current output from the server. we rebooted the server three days ago: pmut6:/> uptime 04:21PM... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
8 Replies
tty(1)								   User Commands							    tty(1)

NAME
tty - return user's terminal name SYNOPSIS
tty [-l] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The tty utility writes to the standard output the name of the terminal that is open as standard input. The name that is used is equivalent to the string that would be returned by the ttyname(3C) function. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -l Prints the synchronous line number to which the user's terminal is connected, if it is on an active synchronous line. -s Inhibits printing of the terminal path name, allowing one to test just the exit status. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tty: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Standard input is a terminal. 1 Standard input is not a terminal. >1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
isatty(3C), ttyname(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
not on an active synchronous line The standard input is not a synchronous terminal and -l is specified. not a tty The standard input is not a terminal and -s is not specified. NOTES
The -s option is useful only if the exit status is wanted. It does not rely on the ability to form a valid path name. Portable applications should use test -t. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 tty(1)