Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH - different syntax for function Post 302426430 by dips_ag on Wednesday 2nd of June 2010 01:08:03 AM
Old 06-02-2010
Thanks Scrutinizer for the detail explanation.

-dips

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh syntax explanation - from mimetool

Hi I got this part of the script from the mimetool by Perderabo. I have difficulty in decyphering the syntax specially lines 4,5 & 9. Also the test condition in line 3. Could someone help me on this please. -------------------------------------- pwentry=$(grep "^$(logname):" /etc/paswd)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax issue in ksh file

Hi all, I am struck with syntax for long time, Need to purge some lines from given file Not able to use value of $x Example of ksh script... Facing some syntax issue. Have Tried ‘with single , double ,backtick “” ` and \ escape character , doesn't seem to work. <line 1> echo $x #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manav666
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax for CAT in ksh

Just want to ask if the below code is correct; if ; then echo "No log found from " $data exit 0 else cat out.txt fi this is to test if the content of out.txt is 0 then message appear that there is no log. Is this correct? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry0013
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh syntax error: `(' unexpected

So I am trying to convert my bash script into ksh, and this is what I have in the file so far: #!/bin/ksh login() { if then sendcmd BETA else sendcmd "$(xxd -c 32 -g 0 ${ZETA_ZETA} | awk '{print $2}')" fi } But when I run it: $ ./test.sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Function syntax

Hi, I would like to know what is the correct syntax to perform a function in awk. Although I have seen several examples, not get it to work, this is what I'm trying: #!/bin/bash awk function multi (number) { return number * 3 } print multi (4)Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH syntax error

Hi all, Anyone know why I get the error below under ksh? $ EXCLUDES=( $(< "$EXCLUDES_FILE") ) sh: syntax error: `(' unexpected I'm trying to use the above line in a script and it's not working. The guy that gave me the script was running in a linux environment, so I'm thinking this might... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmw
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem syntax with user-defined function

Hi ! I got a script from Arabic to Roman numeral conversion - .comp.lang.awk, that I would like to modify to apply it on my input file. input ("|"-delimited fields): AAAAAA|1, 10, 13, 14, 25, 60 wanted output: AAAAAA|I, X, XIII, XIV, XXV, LX script.awk: #!/usr/bin/gawk -f ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax Error while using CMP function

Hi All, I am getting a syntax error message while trying to compare 2 files using the compare function (LINUX) command substitution: line 79: syntax error near unexpected token `(' command substitution: line 79: `cmp -s <(tr , \n < $COMMON_TMP/nt_per_gs.done | sort) <(tr , \n <... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh syntax error Unexpected Fi

Issue resolved, thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangell82
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function using variable in it syntax error

The below bash function uses multiple variables CODING, SAMPLE, SURVEY, andvariant in it. The user selects the cap function and details are displayed on the screen using the $SURVEY variable, the directory is changed to $SAMPLE and the samples.txt is opened so the user can select the sample to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)