Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lilo.conf for lvm
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat lilo.conf for lvm Post 302424984 by imrank27 on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 11:26:57 PM
Old 05-27-2010
lilo.conf for lvm

Does anyone know how to write a lilo.conf for lvm configurations.

I have the devices addressed as:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / (root)
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 (swap)

When running lilo,
Error states:
can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0xFD02

Would appreciate any help here

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

Guys, Any idea how to Install Lilo after Instal linux 7.2 ( 2.4.7 ). At first when i was installing Linux 7.2 i didnt install LILO because i have alllready installed Boot Magic from Power Quest (Having dual boot Windows2000 Server and Linux Red Hat7.2 ). I didnt install LILO because i was... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerserv
20 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lilo

I have installed linux.. but it wont boot.. it says: "LI" and then my computer freezes.. it has worked before.. A couple of days ago, I tried to install OpenBSD.. I used the whole disk for it.. I think it's something with the MBR-settings I made in the OpenBSD installation.. How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

I need help with lilo

:confused: I've been trying to figure out what happen to Windows 2000 since I upgrade my partition of Red Hat 7.1 to 7.2. Before I even upgraded my system would dual boot both OS's now it only sees Linux in lilo. Can some one help me I'm in need of help. Can you tell me what I'm missing in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

lilo.conf | bash

hi i am first time here for post tread but i alredy spend some time for look what u are doing here and i think that is great.... i am very interesting in bash scripting so i now wanna make one script that is able to set up a lilo.conf on every machine .....where script is runned. for exemple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bl00d
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf

HI, I want a help for Configuring snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf (i.e Configuring SNMP) for receiving TRAPS in my networks. I am using RHEL4.0 OS. Please tell me How I can configure above two files in a proper way and at an advanced level. Especially I am getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
2 Replies

6. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf

Hello all, Newbie here. I'm currently tasked with updating rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf on a large set of servers. I know the exact logging configurations that I want to enable. I have updated both files on on a server and hope to use the updated files as a template for the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mide
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
LILO(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   LILO(8)

NAME
lilo - install boot loader SYNOPSIS
Main function: /sbin/lilo - install boot loader Auxiliary uses: /sbin/lilo -q - query map /sbin/lilo -R - set default command line for next reboot /sbin/lilo -I - inquire path name of current kernel /sbin/lilo {-u|-U} - uninstall lilo DESCRIPTION
lilo installs a boot loader that will be activated next time you boot. It has lots of options. -v Increase verbosity. Giving one or more -v options will make lilo more verbose. -q List the currently mapped files. lilo maintains a file, by default /boot/map, containing the name and location of the kernel(s) to boot. This option will list the names therein. -m map-file Use specified map file instead of the default. -C config-file lilo reads its instructions about what files to map from its config file, by default /etc/lilo.conf. This option can be used to specify a non-default config file. -d delay If you have specified several kernels, and press Shift at boot-time, the boot loader will present you with a choice of which system to boot. After a timeout period the first kernel in the list is booted. This option specifies the timeout delay in deciseconds. -D label Use the kernel with the given label, instead of the first one in the list, as the default kernel to boot. -r root-directory Before doing anything else, do a chroot to the indicated directory. Used for repairing a setup from a boot floppy. -t Test only. Do not really write a new boot sector or map file. Use together with -v to find out what lilo is about to do. -c Enable map compaction. This will merge read requests from adjacent sectors. Speeds up the booting (especially from floppy). -f disk-tab Specify disk geometry parameter file. (The default is /etc/disktab.) -i boot-sector Specify a file to be used as the new boot sector. (The default is /boot/boot.b.) -l Generate linear sector addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses. -L Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of C:H:S addresses, allowing access to all partitions on disks greater than 8.4Gb. -P {fix|ignore} Fix (or ignore) `corrupt' partition tables, i.e., partition tables with linear and sector/head/cylinder addresses that do not corre- spond. -s save-file When lilo overwrites the boot sector, it preserves the old contents in a file, by default /boot/boot.NNNN where NNNN depends on the device. This option specifies an alternate save file for the boot sector. (Or, together with the -u option, specifies from where to restore the boot sector.) -S save-file Normally, lilo will not overwrite an existing save file. This options says that overwriting is allowed. -u device-name Uninstall lilo, by copying the saved boot sector back. A time-stamp is checked. -U device-name Idem, but do not check the time-stamp. -R command line This option sets the default command for the boot loader the next time it executes. The boot loader will then erase this line: this is a once-only command. It is typically used in reboot scripts, just before calling `shutdown -r'. -I label The label of the running kernel can be found in the environment variable BOOT_IMAGE after startup. This command will print the cor- responding path name on stdout. -V Print version number. The above command line options correspond to the key words in the config file indicated below. -b bootdev boot=bootdev -c compact -d dsec delay=dsec -D label default=label -i bootsector install=bootsector -f file disktab=file -l linear -L lba32 -m mapfile map=mapfile -P fix fix-table -P ignore ignore-table -s file backup=file -S file force-backup=file -v verbose=level SEE ALSO
lilo.conf(5). The lilo distribution comes with very extensive documentation. AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@bernina.ethz.ch). John Coffman (johninsd@san.rr.com) (lba32 extensions). 20 March 2000 LILO(8)