Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Why Veritas is not used for root file system. Post 302424479 by jlliagre on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 10:21:41 AM
Old 05-25-2010
@Reboot: Beware not confusing volume management and file systems. VxFS isn't supported by the OpenBoot Prom so you just can't boot a kernel located on such a file system. Only UFS and now ZFS can be used to boot Solaris.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Veritas File System

Hello All. I have a question concerning VFS (Veritas File System). I are attempting to upgrade Solaris 2.6 UFS to the VFS (Veritas File System). We use Veritas to perform all our backups. I have been unable to find any documentation on SUN's or Veritas's website. The server's are SUN 4500 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KaEH
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

veritas vcs \ file system docs req.

hi if anyone has docs (corporate internals on how to setup vcs mfor example, especially with Veritas VM, pleas let me know..i need exposure experience in this area of Enterprise Administration thanks jasmine (SCSA & MCSE) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasmine_uk
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Root File system Space

Hi I'm using HP-UX 11.00, the root file system is as shown below. Several time it reach 100% used, to free some space I use to reboot the system. What can I do to free some space without rebooting the machine? Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Veritas root disk mirroring

Hi there, My task is to replace the two 73 G disks with two 143 G disks , which has vxvm 4.1 running on it. I would like to know whether the steps iam following are correct. 1. Break the sub-disks, plexes of the root mirror. 2. Remove the sub-disks,plexes of the root mirror. 3. Remove one of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
10 Replies

5. Solaris

swap space in veritas file system

hi every one , i know how to add swap space in ufs file system. but i m facing problem in veritas file system . i wants to know how will i create swap or add new swap space in existing swap space . Note: disk under veritas volume manager control . please help me to solve this issue . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samy123
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root File System

Hi, Please someone tell me, what are the contents of root file sysytem? and significance of it, what are all possible ways to mount root file system? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. Solaris

restore dump from veritas format using ufs file system

hi all i have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

9. Solaris

how to restore backup from veritas vm in ufs file system

Hi all I have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. backup was taken... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Veritas file system..

Hi, I am on Solaris 10 server which is running Veritas. It's E420 server with two drives. I don't know much about Veritas. The other guy who works on this, on vacation this week. :-) Any way, looks like I have hard drive issue on the server. When I do iostat -E. I see this. sd0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies
root_archive(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root DESCRIPTION
The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on x86 platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2 Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)