Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: aix 61 and oracle 11
Operating Systems AIX aix 61 and oracle 11 Post 302424416 by bakunin on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 07:49:22 AM
Old 05-25-2010
I just found out that my description of configuring Asynchronous I/O is wrong at all, as in AIX 6.1 there is no aio-pseudodevice any more. Please note that i have deleted the respective part of my earlier post. My apologies for the mistake.

bakunin

---------- Post updated at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by prebila
Thanks for replay.

Lets say that we have 16 disks on storage. And we need one filesystem. Which setup is better regarding performans:

1. We make one raid 10 array and create one lun and present it to aix as one hdiskpower disk ( emc storage ) and make one filesystem on that disk
or
2. We make 4 raid 10 groups ( 4 disks in each ), create one lun on each raid group and present them to aix like 4 hdiskpower disks, and then create one filesystem on that 4 hdiskpowers.

By my opinion second solution is better becouse aix see 4 disks and can paralelly write/read from them.

Regards
Lets take this to the extreme: you could create one LUN and present it to AIX or you could create 16 LUNs (one for each disk) and use AIX to stripe with LVM means over these. In the first case you let the SAN device do the distribution of the I/O load, in the latter the AIX system (namely the LVM) will do this. As it is, a SAN device is a specialized piece of hardware specifically designed to deal with these tasks. I'd bet that the SAN can do that better than AIX, so I'd stick with the SAN machine.

The smallest amount of disk space the LVM deals with is the Physical Partition (PP). If you have a database configured you will probably have one or more multi-gigabyte filesystem and accordingly your disks (and therefore the PP size) will be relatively big - 256MB being a typical value. "Striping" in 256-MB-chunks is probably not all too parallel at all, considering the size of disk clusters and the size of data packets in the SCSI protocoll. In fact your I/O will probably look like this on the device driver level: some (many?) requests to one disk, then some (many?) requests to the next disk, etc.. Not "one request to the first disk, one request to the next disk, ..." at all!

So the answer is: you will be probably better off leaving the I/O-optimization to the SAN device altogether and use the LVM only to logically group filesystems on a per-application (or probably per-Oracle-instance) basis.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

aix-oracle

what is the reason oracle is giving ora-600 space leak error? how to rectify this error? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varadakumar
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle and AIX

Hi @all Who's able to help me? I've a running Oracle DB on AIX 4.3.3. You've also an Oracle Client running for this. So however, how it's possible, that I can see the CURRENT VERSION of my Oracle CLIENT. I've tried several things, but it doesn't work. Thanks a lot! Regards Oliver :( :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: olli2002
4 Replies

3. AIX

oracle 9i on AIX 5.2

Hello, mornig can you help me whit this error: "Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run" and i can't start the installation of ORACLE 9i... see you later (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseantoniohv
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 6.1 and Oracle 9.2.0

Hi All, I need to update some AIX servers from 5.2 to 5.3 OR 6.1 . The management is pressing for 6.1, but on our systems runs Oracle 9.2.0 . I couldn't find any clear warning about the possibility of compatibility issues between AIX 6.1 and Oracle 9.2.0 but, on the other hand, I couldn't find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padawan75
0 Replies

5. AIX

Aix, Oracle and Java

Hello Im trying to install oracle on my AIX 5.3 server. Im doing all things right as Oracle says... When im trying to run the instalation it gives me an error about JRE. But i already have JRE installed as you can see... Someone can help me or guide me? Im new in with this.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfca
1 Replies

6. AIX

oracle 10g on AIX 5

hi can anyone help me by telling step by stem oracle10g installation in AIX 5 . Munir mondolsoft Bangladesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbamunir
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX to Windows Oracle DB

Dear All, I have a requirement where there are applicaions installed in Unix machine that has to update a set of Oracle data base installed in Windows machine, the question I have here is, which protocol alows Unix application to interact with Database in Windows env. and do we require some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prav_06
2 Replies

8. AIX

Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on AIX 5300-07

Seek help from all of the experts here. Database Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 run on AIX 5300-07. The system is running so slow that sometime 1 click of changing screen will take more than 5 minutes. The hardware in this LPAR is 6CPUs, 21GB-RAM, 42GB-Paging and run on p570 server POWER 5+. And the vmo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle RAC on AIX

I am setting this up on 5.3 and the problem is I cannot remember how to allocate two IP addresses to a NIC. I have setup an alias on EN0 but when I list it with ifconfig -a it still only shows 1 network address (after a reboot). I know there is something I must do but for the life of me cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnf
1 Replies

10. AIX

AIX and Oracle

Hello All, I was approached by DBAs, and they want me to create a large_page on AIX and also change oracle file systems to CIO. They are complaining the system is taking longer time for processing and we are unnecessary wasting memory and CPU for file system cache. To do that I have to change... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: m6248m
12 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)