Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 2.6 restore from tape Post 302423915 by incredible on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 08:31:36 AM
Old 05-23-2010
Please use a Solaris 8 or 9 cd to boot off.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Restore Problems!!!

Hi. I have been having problems with restoring from a tape backup. I use the following cpio command: find / -print | cpio -ouvB > /dev/rStp0 After running this cpio command, the screen will display all files, but when I try to read or restore the tape I get the following error: Tape input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now. The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ". This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtoombs
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective restore from a cpio tape archive

Hi, I use following command to restore data from my cpio tape archive: $cpio -icvd < /dev/rct0 But this'll restore all tape contents to the current path, what if I want only selected files from the tape, suppose I want /home/compdir/home2/Rev83/data/PL/01/*.* files to be restored... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

5. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

6. SCO

Restore from HP Tape Drive

Here is the scenario. We have an billing system that ran on SCO 5.0.6. The HP Netserver went dwon, along with SCSI disks. They are unretrievable. I installed an IDE HDD, and reinstalled SCO. I am not too familiar w/ SCO or UNIX, and need to know how to install Tape drive, and how to restore from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlewis808
11 Replies

7. SCO

SCO UNIX tape restore

I am a mewbie to UNIX. I am using SCO Open Server 5 to run a legacy medical billing program "MDX" I have backup tapes made on HP DataStore8 which have the application and data files. Recently unable to login as individual user but can log into root. Previous commands that had restored the system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canbe842
5 Replies

8. Solaris

FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape: root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Can't restore my deleted etc from tape

Hi I recently deleted my /etc but I had a backup on tape. I was able to boot the server with a cd-rom and mounted the /c1t0d0s0 which is where the root directory resides. However when I tried to restore the backup with tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n I wasn't successful even though I was able to use the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
2 Replies

10. AIX

Restore directory and contents from tape

Hi, I have taken a backup of a directory on my tape in using below command cd /backup find * -print|backup -ivf '/dev/rmt0' '-U' |tee -a /syslogs/backup.log and output appear in below format. a 0 rman-before-08032014 a 58403323904... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)