Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execute commands to specific folder from input file Post 302423388 by clx on Friday 21st of May 2010 02:35:59 AM
Old 05-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitranjansahu
Here is a basic for loop that reads from the input file line by line. You add your operation you want to do

Code:
for dirname in *;
do
  #delete your folder or what ever you want
echo $dirname
done < input.txt

Hi amitranjansahu,

This command will do the action for all the files/dir under the current directory.
this has nothing to do with input.txt

@dragon.1431: please don't execute this command with the delete option directly on your file. else that will delete all the files.

try something like:

Code:
while read path
do
 echo "cd $path || echo unable to change $path"
 echo "rm -rf .svn"
 echo "run git init"
done < file

I have put echo for safely instead of commands. please test first instead applying directly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can Xargs execute multiple commands of evry input file

Hello , I am trying to print the footer of evry file in the given directory with xargs command like follows ls -1 | xargs -I {} gzcat {} | tail -1 now problem with this is only last file foooter is getting printed as " | tail -1 " is getting executed for the last file. I know this can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilesrex
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help-Script to execute Commands and write to excel file

Execute some commands in script and store result in excel sheet Kindly help me........... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Computer_baby
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Execute All Commands in A contrl File

Hi , I have a situation i need to write a while loop until the end of control file.In the control file i have a 5 lines which contains commands.how can i execute all with out waiting for the first one to complete. Ex ControlFile: ScripitName Test ScriptName Test1 ScriptName Test2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute commands read from another file?

Please help with this simple example. I can not figure out how to do it. A file named “job” contains only this one line:var=5I need a script to read the job file and execute it as a command. This is my attempt (it does not work):#!/bin/sh exec < job echo "var = $var"output should read “var = 5”... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy specific file.txt in specific folder?

hye there... i have a problem to copy file in specific folder that will change the name according to host,time(%m%s) and date(%Y%M%D) example folder name: host_20100531.154101801 this folder name will always change... but i just want to copy the AAA.txt and BBB.txt file.. really need... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: annetote
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using any file in folder as command input

Hi all, I have a command I need to run on a large number of folders. It needs only one input, namely one of the 150 files in the folder (doesn't matter which one): command filenameThe problem is that the names of the files are random, so I was trying to just get the first file by using list and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linnnnn
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell: How to execute commands from another file?

I made a configuration file for my shell script in that all the values that the shell scipt needs, are defined, but I don't know how to let the shell script use those defined variables. Thank you for your help :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alkali
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from the user from the command line and execute commands basedon that?

Hi, I am using solaris 10 and bash shell.Script execution follows below.Initially it will check whether a directory exists or not if does not exist it will create it.(This I have completed) Second step:I have four users say user1,user2,user3,user4.Script should prompt for the user id and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a batch file containing ftp commands??

hi, is there a way i can execute a batch file containing ftp commands like we execute sftp batch file. sftp -b batchfile user@server > output how to create a batch file for ftp executing command and how to run the batch file from a shell script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)