Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl-OS command to find out what kind Post 302420504 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 11:26:09 PM
Old 05-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1220
I need to know a command to find out which version of Perl Im currently running.
Code:
perl -v

for the short answer, and -

Code:
perl -V

for the long answer.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some kind of message command

Hello All, hope someone here can help me with this. I am a new unix system administrator on the HP-UX machine. Every night, our operators back up our file system using one tape but as of recently, our files have gotten bigger and it now requires 2 tapes for a complete backup. Since the operators... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjit
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i find staroffice or any other kind office program for unix or linux?

No detail:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using the perl version of the find command...

hi, i am looking through the perl documentation in the man pages for the first time but I have looked at some other reference giudes before (at a glance) and remember that there is a find command used by perl can any one give me a structured example of that command and how it works and if possible... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Error with find command

Guys, I need to find all the files ending with either dmp or dmp.Z. This command is giving me error. @files =`find $path \(-name "*.dmp" -o -name "*.dmp.Z"\) -mtime +30`; sh: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 1 : `(' is not expected. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKNENI
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How do I find what kind of NIC card the server has?

All, I see that there are 2 nic card available . How can I know all the details about these 2 nic cards. -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10 Apr 16 15:00 hostname.bge0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 17 Apr 22 08:56 hostname.bge2 please let me know thanks -prasad (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use sed or perl command to find and replace a directory in a file

how to use sed command to find and replace a directory i have a file.. which contains lot of paths ... for eg.. file contains.. /usr/kk/rr/12345/1 /usr/kk/rr/12345/2 /usr/kk/rr/12345/3 /usr/kk/rr/12345/4 /usr/kk/rr/12345/5 /usr/kk/rr/12345/6 /usr/kk/rr/12345/7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : find perl executable binary

Hi I have an oracle perl script running as cron job across multiple unix servers. The issue is the perl binary is found in multiple directories I use in the start of the script ... #!/usr/bin/perl on some servers the script fails because /usr/bin/perl is not present. Is there a way i can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to detect kind of command for root only?

Dear all, Please help me clarify why i cannot run command in /sbin directory (ex: /sbin/fdisk -l )! I've checked permission on files which belong /sbin directory with execute permission. However, i still cannot run with normal user. Sorry for my English. thanks all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: all4cfa
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl find command tweak

i use the following command to find files that were recently updated within the last hour: perl -MFile::Find -le' find { wanted => sub { -f and 3600 / 86400 >= -M and print $File::Find::name; } }, shift' /var/app/mydata/ this command works well. however, it seems to also search directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)