Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Write message to another user on same network Post 302420449 by tlarkin on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 04:40:16 PM
Old 05-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I ssh-ed to a friend's mac and tried it. It wouldn't let me run applescript scripting GUI events since I was a remote user. You'd have to set up a sudo arrangement in advance to allow you to run these things with elevated privileges to get around that. I haven't tried 'say' but I doubt that's likely either.
I've used say on users before as a prank (as in co-workers) and it works. Hmm, when I run a shell script as root the apple script works and it also works when I use the send unix command from ARD admin.

I have not tried osascript over ssh, but let me try it now

Code:
bash-3.2# osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to display dialog "Hello World!" '
button returned:OK
bash-3.2#

Worked for me over ssh. I have two iMacs on my desk at work and that one liner did it, and when I hit OK on the remote computer it returned back that I hit OK.

The only time this may not work is when the system is at the login Window. Say works too. Though do note that I am ssh'd in and able to sudo so you are correct that you would need sudo rights on these machines.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

WRITE a message in console

Hi all, I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script. Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one.. #! /bin/ksh write user12 << EOF Hello World <<EOF For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

3. Programming

How to broadcast a message across the network using Socket programming in C??

My problem definition is ,I have to send a message from one node in a network and it has to be broadcasted to all other nodes in the network.The program what I have given below will be running in all the nodes in the network.The same program should be capable of sending(broadcasting) and receiving.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

network message explanation pls

Hi guys, I know some about networking but I know some message below but Can anyone give me full explanation about these message below and how to generate these messages 1 14:52:49.463851 arp who-has 192.168.0.107 tell 192.168.0.108 2 14:52:49.463851 arp reply 192.168.0.107 is-at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peac3
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a message on specific user terminal

Hi All, Need urgent help!!! Can anyone tellme how can we send a message on specific user terminal and get a response from user in return. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sadhana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a scripts to kill idle user for 60 min. & email user list to admin in text file

Folks, I have written one script for following condition by referring some of online post in this forum. Please correct it if I'm missing something in it. (OS: AIX 5.3) List the idle user. (I used whoidle command to list first 15 user and get username, idle time, pid and login time).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit30
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS mounted drive showing Write protected message

Hi We have two servers name A and B . I have a folder "Share" on A was NFS mounted to "B" server. I have set the ACL permissions using setfacl , so that both (One user from Server A and another user from Server B) users can read and write to the directory. Both users can create the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Why this message came when i added user in group?

Hi all, When I added one user in in this group hhs_gl6 following message got generated. -bash-3.00$ /usr/local/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -G hhs_gl6 vivek UX: /usr/sbin/usermod: hhs_gl6 name should be all lower case or numeric. However when I cheked the user in /etc/group file, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write file over network

Hello Forum, I have an embedded Busybox system with ash shell. On this system is a service with logging output. I want to have this logfile on another computer. This service creates the log file, but I can specify the filename via parameter. The memory is very fast filled up. What could be the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterfarge
6 Replies
IPCLUSTER(1)															      IPCLUSTER(1)

NAME
ipcluster - IPython parallel computing cluster control tool SYNOPSIS
ipcluster {piexec,local,mpirun,pbs,ssh} [options] DESCRIPTION
ipcluster is a control tool for IPython's parallel computing functions. IPython cluster startup. This starts a controller and engines using various approaches. Use the IPYTHONDIR environment variable to change your IPython directory from the default of .ipython or _ipython. The log and security subdirectories of your IPython directory will be used by this script for log files and security files. POSITIONAL ARGUMENTS
The first positional argument should be one of: {mpiexec, local, mpirun, pbs, ssh}, which are the available cluster types. For detailed help on each, type "ipcluster TYPE --help". Briefly: local run a local cluster mpirun run a cluster using mpirun (mpiexec also works) mpiexec run a cluster using mpiexec (mpirun also works) pbs run a pbs cluster ssh run a cluster using ssh, should have ssh-keys setup OPTIONS
-h, --help show help message and exit EXAMPLE
ipcluster local -n 4 This command will start 4 IPython engines on the local computer. SEE ALSO
ipython(1),ipcontroller(1),ipengine(1) AUTHOR
ipcluster is a tool that ships with IPython, created by the IPython Development Team. This manual page was written by Stephan Peijnik <debian@sp.or.at>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Modified by Fer- nando Perez <Fernando.Perez@berkeley.edu> for inclusion in IPython. October 28, 2008 IPCLUSTER(1)