Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cutting unix path after known directoryname Post 302419236 by Qube on Thursday 6th of May 2010 02:46:51 PM
Old 05-06-2010
Thank YOU!
Afterwards things always look surprisingly easy. Smilie

Just for the sake of theory I have an additional question.
What if the path has 2 occurences of "apache" and I want to chop off from the first occurence (like in my first question)?

Thanks, Qube

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX PATH info required PLEASE HELP (I'm new to unix)

I need to know how to enter a unix path in a cgi script for a guest book: example: My URL is http://www.kitachi.info I have an html file in the main folder on my site, the file is called : gbook.html what would the correct unix path for this file be ??? the part of the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akitachi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Path

Hi all, I've found following information in sunfreeware: ----------------- If the package installs in /usr/local/bin, you must put /usr/local/bin (or /opt/foo/bin when programs install in /opt/fee) in your UNIX PATH. You will also probably want to add /usr/local/man to your MANPATH in a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH in unix

Hi, I want to know the default precedence of PATH variable (esp in HP Unix). is /usr/local/bin having higher precedence or /usr/bin? which tar is better to use /usr/local/bin/tar or /usr/bin/tar? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thiyagak85
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting In Unix Question

Please Delete! Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiruken
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation of directoryname with Max limit

Hi, Please provide your inputs.. # define PATH_MAX 1023 /* max number of characters in a pathname (not including terminating null) */ Could you please let me know how to create directory name(or pathname) with above PATH_MAX length in korn shell scripting.. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansa
9 Replies

7. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up a path in UNIX

I have the following script "test". When i tried to execute it, I am not able to run it. I dunno why ? Then i tried getting the first few lines of the script which is displayed below: $head -10 test #!/bin/ksh PROG=$0;export PROG ORAUSER=`get_inf_env INFORM_DB_ACCOUNT`;export ORAUSER... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
13 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path

Hi All, This question is regarding career path. I was not sure about which forum I should drop it, so putting it here. I have 12 years of experience on UNIX i.e. majority of Solaris and some of Linux (Suse & Red Hat). Since starting I have been working on 100% administration side and I am not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX certification path

Hi, I'm new to Unix world, and i want to get certified in Unix because a lot of companies here in my country ask for Unix knowledge , so i'm here to ask what is the path to get such certifications? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thegeekaid
1 Replies
pidfilehack(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    pidfilehack(8)

NAME
pidfilehack - work around daemons that always fork SYNOPSIS
pidfilehack servicename pidfile command [parameters] DESCRIPTION
pidfilehack is used to work around daemons that insist on forking into the background, but that do write a correct pid file. pidfilehack forks the actual service, then waits for the pidfile to be written. Once it can read the pid from the pidfile it will tell minit the real pid and quit. USAGE
usually pidfilehack is symlinked as run command of a service. servicename the name of the service pidfilehack is installed for. pidfile the filename to read the pid from command the real command to start parameters additional parameters for the command A typical use of this command will look like this: /etc/minit/apache /etc/minit/apache/params apache /var/run/apache.pid apachectl start /etc/minit/apache/run -> /sbin/pidfilehack AUTHOR
minit was written by Felix von Leitner and can be downloaded from his page at http://www.fefe.de/minit/ This manpage was written by Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux operating system. SEE ALSO
msvc(8), pidfilehack(8) pidfilehack(8)