Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problems with using talk command Post 302418758 by trichyselva on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 09:23:29 AM
Old 05-05-2010
problems with using talk command

using talk option i tried to send message to my team mate.

for connecting to one unix box, we are having a common userid and password
except that, the ip addresses will change
for me it is x.x.x.4, for my colleague it is x.x.x.3

These are the steps i did

> who
<userid> pts/2 x.x.x.3
<userid> pts/3 x.x.x.4

I was using the ip x.x.x.4

I entered the below command

talk <userid>@x.x.x.3

The screen got divided into two and I got a message like this

[no connection yet]

then in few seconds i got a message like this

[checking for invitation on caller's machine]

i logged into my teammate's machine

but i couldnot find the message which i sent

can any one tell what is the problem in this

what i am missing, i am not sure

thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

CC command problems

Apparently I do not have C on my Sun Blade. It's a fresh install, and I'l fairly new to using this box. When I type cc, I get the following: /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed... Does this mean I do not have C on this Blade? How can I get it and set it up? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpeery
1 Replies

2. Programming

my problems with MAKEFILE command

Hi everyone. I'm a newbies in using c++ in UNIX. And since then I only do maintenance coding not development. so far i understand c++ coding and OOP concepts. currently i'm working onsomething for maintenance purpose.here's the situation : below are my files : source files: advDisc.cpp ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliasunway
2 Replies

3. AIX

Problems with tar command

Hello Somebody can help me, I try to extract a file by tar command but I get this error message root@mxlgjac/home/bistrain# tar -xvf C57U6ML.tar tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 804399312 not equal to 62020. The file in tar format its on the same directory, where I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with find command

Folks, I have been searching a dir for specfic files that have been accessed within a certain timeframe. The issue that I am having is that it picks up the .snapshot dir as well. I am using the following: find /probecards/ -name "S25E3N*" -mtime -1 -type f Is this correct or how do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command problems

Hi, In my home directory, there are so many files. i tried to get the lastly created file by following command. file=`ls -lrt MXOfiles* | tail -1` As there are so many files, it displays "$ : 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." Can someone tell me how can i get the recent file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect_out command

expect "#" send "terminal-length 0\r" expect "#" send "show mp cpu\r" expect "#" send "show mp memory\r" expect "#" while {1} { expect "#" send "clear counters\r" sleep 30 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roh_20022002
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problems with rcp command

I have two servers A and B; A has redhat 5 and B has Suse10. Both of them has rhost file configuration. When i try to copy file from A to B that is OK but when try to copy from B to A i have an error: connection refused. I installed rsh and rsh-server on server A and stop iptables service. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinsonusp2014
2 Replies

10. AIX

Problems with the rpm command

Hi folks, I have a problem with command rpm, I'm running the command and appears this error: server:/tmp/python# uname -rv 2 5 server:/tmp/python# rpm -i python-2.3.4-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stenioc1
6 Replies
talkd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  talkd(8)

NAME
talkd, ntalkd - The remote communications server for the talk command SYNOPSIS
talkd ntalkd DESCRIPTION
The talkd server notifies a user or callee when a client or caller wants to initiate a conversation. The talkd daemon sets up the conver- sation if the callee accepts the invitation. The caller initiates a conversation by executing the talk command and specifying the callee. The callee accepts the invitation by executing the talk command specifying the caller. The talkd daemon listens at a socket for a LOOK_UP request from a local or remote talk client. On receiving a LOOK_UP request, talkd scans its internal invitation table for an entry that pairs the client (the local or remote talk process) with a caller. If an entry exists in the talkd daemon's international invitation table, the talkd daemon assumes that the client process is the callee. The talkd daemon returns the appropriate rendezvous address to the talk process for the callee. The callee process then establishes a stream connection with the caller process. If an entry does not exist in the invitation table, the talkd daemon assumes that the client process is the caller. The talkd daemon then receives the client process's ANNOUNCE request. When talkd receives the ANNOUNCE request, talkd broadcasts an invitation on the console of the remote host where the callee is logged in, unless the caller specifies a particular tty. At approximately 1-minute intervals, talkd rebroadcasts the invitation until either the invitation is answered by the callee or the call is canceled by the caller. Debugging messages are sent to syslogd(8). For further information on the files used by this daemon, see the syslogd command. FILES
Specifies the command path Defines Internet socket assignments Contains data about users who are currently logged in NOTES
The Tru64 UNIX version of talkd uses the talk 4.3BSD protocol. This command is sometimes referred to as ntalkd. It is not compatible with 4.2BSD versions of talk. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: inetd(8), syslogd(8), talk(1) delim off talkd(8)