Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple unix variables in script Post 302416751 by soleil4716 on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 04:06:20 PM
Old 04-27-2010
You can use:

${filename}.${numberinput}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple UNIX Shell Script help, PLEASE

I don't know anything about UNIX. I have been developing on NT platform and now a batch file I was running in my java code must work on UNIX instead. How do I change the below .bat file into a shell script that can be run on UNIX? Thanks in advance for your help. @ECHO OFF D:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ci2a020
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple unix script help

when i run this script: # Author: xtos if then echo "Please enter ONLY one name to search, (example "$0" NAME)" exit fi INPUT="grep $1 $HOME/work/phone_book" if then echo "Listing not found, please try again." else (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtos
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple query on unix shell script

I want to write a script to go to particular path in file and run shell script from there. what will be shell script for the same. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_ssm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script looking for Hard Coded Variables

Hi Guys Looking for a little help with a script to grep all files looking for hard coded variables - ie its IP address... so we know which files to look at before an IP change... This is what I have - but it seems to loop and never end... Any better suggestions? #!/usr/bin/ksh #simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding variables in a unix script

Hi I am trying to add variables(float values) in a unix script but am getting an error value=`expr $a + $b + $c` The error I am getting is "expr: non-numeric argument" I guess it has got to something with the decimal points. Plz help (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot execute Unix command in a simple perl script

Am trying to lean perl scripting in Unix OS to automate my tasks. Please find the below perl script i have tried #!/usr/bin/perl -w print "Please Enter the VG name to be checked:"; $A = <>; print "Please Enter the free size to be checked in GB:"; $B = <>; $vgcheck = `vgdisplay... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayachandran87
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Define variables with UNIX script

oopps! I Meant "Define Variables within a UNIX Script" What would be the best way to define a variable in a unix shell script so anyone who views this script doesn't know what value is assigned to that variable. some other location... a="/usr/lib/fileA" Unix script... sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macastor
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a script that does a simple task on multiple unix servers.

hi guys, i need a script that does a simple task on multiple aix servers. if possible with both telnet and ssh. the simple task i wanna do is connect to a server and run "ifconfig -a" and get the output. nextweek i need to do similar jobs on like 50 servers... :( can anybody help me with making... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtis911
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/How-to - simple UNIX script / gzip (beginner)

Hey all, I would like to ask your help and sorry in advance for my ignorance since I am a complete beginner in this. I need to create a UNIX script that will: - scan a small number of folders and subfolders (see a similar file tree in the attachment) - - for each final folder (each of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: McNulty
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on simple script as i dont know numch about UNIX scripting

Hello All, My name is vasu and I am very new to Unix scripting, i know basic commands, but now i need to write the following script, i have tried but no luck My requirment is i am getting one our from another command as following Used:1.8TB Advisory Quota:1.8TB aaa1 Used:4.5TB Advisory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
1 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD