Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users [Debian, Ethernet, crazy ideas] Data transfer, the hard way... Post 302415499 by Elric of Grans on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 05:54:27 PM
Old 04-22-2010
Thanks for the advice.

I had confirmed with the manufacturer and they would not respect the warranty if I opened it up.

I transferred the primary master HDD to the old-old PC, to see how things would go. I used a live disc to fsck it (it needed it) and then booted. This all went perfectly. I then configured NFS shares on the new system and ran some crossover cable between the systems. It fell away here, however. I seemed to be able to get the new PC to recognise what I was trying to do, but the old one just would not acknowledge the Ethernet at all. I tried even connecting to the Internet, but that failed. Perhaps the Ethernet port was damaged some time in the past?

While struggling with this, I realised there was actually a far easier, far more obvious route that I had not considered. Why not just make the IDE drives USB? I hunted around and found a local supplier who stocks IDE-to-USB adapters. I have started transferring files this way. It seems to be mostly successful, but there does appear to be something horridly wrong. Periodically it will fail (I/O errors), and when I check dmesg I find all manner of kernel errors about the connection and a note that it remounted the drive (after this ls no longer works on the drive). So far, I have just been noting which filed failed. I tried unplugging the drive, letting it cool down (it was burning up), and reconnected to retransfer one of the files that failed. At least this one worked after doing this. I am about half way so far, but this seems to be a pretty good solution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

data corruption with ftp transfer

Hi again, first of all thanks for you help on my last problem, the problem is solved now. But I have many problem :) This time, I transfered a big file, ~3,5 GByte, with ftp from a Sun machine to a linux box, RedHat 7.3. But the file recieved on the Linux Box is corrupt, with smaller files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to transfer files from UNIX to my own Hard drive storage?

I will leave the University I am working, but I need to backup and transfer my research data from UNIX system in our department to my own 750G Hard Drive Storage. But I am not familiar with UNIX. How to do this? Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
5 Replies

3. AIX

Erase hard disk data

How to erase/format hard disk data in RS6000 AIX PowerPC model 43 :confused: ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenloong
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer data from one file to another

Hi, I'm relatively new to shell scripting, Ive worked on a few basic scripts and used most of the unix commands in the simplest of situations. But I am now faced with a task that's seems to be beyond me. I have a file with some data in the form of rows and columns : 123 4536 abcd4 677 bbb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inquisitive101
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hard/Transfer errors in disks

Could you please explain us what are these transport/hard errors... when i ran the following command, iostat -E | grep Errors i got the following: sd240 Soft Errors: 37 Hard Errors: 1144 Transport Errors: 0 sd578 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 890 Transport Errors: 0 Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar3350
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What some ideas with sort and get unique data

Hi all, I am writing a script where i can parse through the directory and get common string in two directories i get. The command below SUN_PLATFORM=`$FIND $STREAM_PATH . -depth -name ShareableEntities | $AWK -F"/" '{if($10 ~ /sun5/) print $0}'` gives the following output:- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asirohi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Data Transfer

We have a data on the disk that was copied from HP N4000 running HPUX 11.11 and it was created with vxfs version 4. We need to transfer this data to Sun server, how might this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kjons76
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data transfer to excel

i have two excel sheets with cpu uasge and memory usage in the follwing format: sheet 1: 22,33 sheet 2: 55,66 i need to display in the below format: servername cpu mem ser1 22 33 ser2 55 66 am using UNIX os. can anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

9. Linux

Debian Grub 1.99 alters BIOS (confirmed after formatting hard disk)

Hi, I am a long time Windows user and recently try this Debian Wheezy OS. Burn Debian ISO in Windows environment and then select DVD ROM drive to boot first in BIOS. The first installation of Debian (GNOME) was with multi-boot option that allows booting from hard disk and DVD drive. I then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linuxmun
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Data transfer in Linux

Please let me know which ports are used for data transfer, as per my understaning in Linux below ports are used for data transfer from windows to Linux. ftp 21 sftp 22 (Most secure Port) telnet 23 any other port? wheather we can change the port no 22 to any other port no for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
10 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only non-empty, non-extended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the `primary' partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS `primary' partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
mknod(1), chown(1), mount(8), sd(4) Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)