Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl-opening a file then copying files Post 302414747 by bigben1220 on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 12:45:56 AM
Old 04-21-2010
Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!!

Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over.

The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2.

Kind of like a log rotator.

Here is what I have:
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
$username = "rgoforth"
$filename = "/home/".$username."/messages";
$mess = "/home/".$username."/messages"/messages";
$mess1 = "/home/".$username."/messages"/messages.1";
$mess2 = "/home/".$username."/messages"/messages.2";
$mess3 = "/home/".$username."/messages"/messages.3";
$mess4 = "/home/".$username."/messages"/messages.4";

if (-e $filename){
        open (FILE, ">$mess") or die $!;
        print (FILE $mess1);
        close (FILE);
}else{
        print "Error: $filename doesn't exist\n";

But I cant seem to get past the strings. I have been looking at it for a while and I thought it might help to have some experts look at it.

Thanks
in advance!!

Ben

Last edited by pludi; 04-21-2010 at 02:01 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from file to another

How do I copy one file from one unix file to another??? I'm new at this, please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tevin
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - copying files

Folks, here is my code: I am a serious newbie, why doesn't this make copies of my files? I dont get any errors, the files are just not created. Your help is appreciated #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Copy; $PWD = `pwd`; $REPORTDIR = "/usr/local/tripwire/tfs/report"; chdir $REPORTDIR;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl

Hi All, I have a total of ten file to open in the Perl script and i am using a for loop to open each file and capture some strings inside each file. Unfortunately, i encounter the below syntax error. I think there should be something wrong with this term reports_${counting}_${_}.txt but i do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Opening Files based on a file list

I'd like to grep files for key words using korn shell, and compile the actual contents (not just file name) of those files that contain a combination of those grepped key words into one repository file for reference. However, I'm stuck at the combining part. Here's what I have thus far: egrep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drumminfool91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file in perl

Hi I need to open a file if a condition(for example a if a regular expression) is met. How do i do this ? open (file) if (some regex)..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a message in file without opening it in perl

Hello friends, i have a perl script as below ... for (0 ..$#values) { ##want to print some message here in Report.txt file print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt } I am able to get output of print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : copying only the latest file to other directory

In linux.. In a directory there are 3 files which I want to copy only the latest file (ls -ltr myfiles*.txt|tail -1) to other directory in perl? Could anyone please help me with the code? Regards, J (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another

I'm writing a Perl script which has its 1st step as to copy files from one directory to another directory. The Source directory has got files with extension, without extension, directories etc. But I want to copy ONLY files with no extension. The files with extensions and directories should not get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies
su(1)							      General Commands Manual							     su(1)

Name
       su - substitute a user ID

Syntax
       su [username]

su - [username]

su -f [username]

Description
       The  command  requests the password of the specified username.  If the correct password is given, changes to that username without changing
       the current directory.  The user environment is unchanged except for HOME and SHELL which are taken from the password file entry for  user-
       name.   The  shell  that  is  run  is also taken from the password file entry for username.  The new user ID stays in force until the shell
       exits.

If no username is specified, `root' is assumed.	To remind the superuser of his responsibilities, the shell substitutes `#' for	its  usual
       prompt.

Options
       -f   Prevents from executing the .cshrc file, making start up faster.

-    Simulates a full login.

Diagnostics
       Sorry
	    An invalid password was supplied for the specified username.

Unknown login: username
	    The specified username was not found in the passwd database.

No directory
	    The home directory for the username is not accessible at this time (only with ``-'' argument).

No shell
	    The shell specified in the passwd database entry for username could not be executed.

Kerberos initialization failure
	    Consult your system administrator.

If enhanced security features are enabled the following error messages are also possible:

Requires secure terminal
	    Attempt to su to UID 0 on a line that is not marked secure in

User's password has expired
	    Access is denied because the password for username is expired.

This account is disabled
	    Access is denied because the auth entry corresponding to username is marked disabled.

Files
       Log file of anyone who became
			root, with a date mark.

See Also
       csh(1), sh(1), passwd(5yp), environ(7), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators
       Security Guide for Users

su(1)