Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discovering Network Topology
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Discovering Network Topology Post 302414214 by nzeidat on Monday 19th of April 2010 12:45:33 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Lightbulb Topology discovery tool

Thank you sysgate for your reply.
I am not sure the first suggestion is feasible. This is a “controlled” project/deployment. The second suggestion is closer to what the team here seems to be marching towards, although the solution is still in the architecture phase, options are still being discussed. I am not sure, actually, whether RIP has any bearing on the solution (something I need to search). The group seems to agree that the solution needs to be implemented as part of the kernel (of a RT operating system, VxWorks) & that the solution takes the form of a “UDP or TCP socket based client/server model”. The “client kernel tasks” run on some workstations in the cluster of networks that make the environment. “Server kernel tasks” run on all routers. When a “client kernel task” is asked to find all possible paths between a pair of hosts and if that destination host is not on the local subnet, it turns around & asks that question to the “Server kernel task” running on its local router. If needed, routers will start communicating with each others asking each others the same question. Eventually, a router on the subnet where the destination address is reached and reply start going back. During the “reply back” phase buffers are getting populated with the interfaces, IP addresses, and other metrics, until the final reply reaches the host that initiated the request. The group thinks that the solution needs to be implemented in the network/IP layer and the lower.

I am not sure how this compares to the “traceroute, ping, SNMP, & DNS queries” solution you are suggesting. All these are applications on op of the network (IP) layer. Although they do similar things described in our “Client/Server” solution described above. !!!??? Any comments/thoughts??

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

help with discovering bad passwords question

Is there of a scheme for discovering badly chosen user passwords from a Unix password file? Im not learning anything bad or trying to hack,this a question that was given to me in an information security seminar. Would password cracker be a correct answer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jodders
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

discovering which ports are in use

I am trying to find a way to discover which ports are in use on a UNIX system. I cannot install lsof on it, and it looks like the telnet option is disabled. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dck133
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Topology Discovery

Hello All! New Unix admin here, with a bit of a problem I can't seem to get a straight answer to.. I've been tasked with mapping out the topology (with IPs/Hostnames) of networks...remotely. So, I have SSH access to firewalls, but that's about as far as I can get - how would I go about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiyugro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discovering TOP process on virtual machine

Hello, on my openvz server, i can output load averages of containers: Code: # vzlist -o laverage,ctid -H 0.00/0.00/0.00 130 0.10/0.10/0.10 150 2.26/2.28/2.28 190please which command/script to use so it outputs top 1 or 2 processes on the linux system with 2.26 laverage? i mean, i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies
NRBROADCAST(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    NRBROADCAST(5)

NAME
nrbroadcast - NET/ROM routing broadcast configuration file. DESCRIPTION
Nrbroadcast is an ASCII file that contains information about each of the physical AX.25 ports that are to have NET/ROM routing broadcasts transmitted from them. Each line has the following format, each field being delimited by white space: port minobs defqual worstqual verbose The field descriptions are: port the port name of the AX.25 port to broadcast on. minobs this is the minimum obsolescence count of a routing table entry to be broadcast on this port. defqual this is the default quality of an incoming routing broadcast from an unknown neighbour. worstqual this is the worst quality node received from a routing broadcast that will be added to our routing table. verbose whether the routes to all of my nodes in my routing table, or just the nodes resident on my machine are to be broad- cast. FILES
/etc/ax25/nrbroadcast /etc/ax25/axports SEE ALSO
call(1), netrom(4), axports(5), netromd(8), nrparms(8). Linux 2 August 1996 NRBROADCAST(5)