Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting validate date pattern using Regular Expression Post 302414044 by Scrutinizer on Monday 19th of April 2010 05:02:42 AM
Old 04-19-2010
You could try this with standard globbing:
Code:
#!/bin/bash or #!/bin/ksh93
checkDate="2010-04-09"
regex="[1-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-1][0-9]-[0-3][0-9]"
echo $regex
if [[ $checkDate =~ $regex]]
then
    echo "OK"
else
    echo "not OK"
fi

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Changed glob to regex. Somehow thought globs were used for regex, but that is incorrect. Tnx Snemetz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate a string against a regular expression

Hi there i have a script which will create unix user accounts. Id like to validate the entered string so that it is specifically 8 characters or less and consists of only ! not Is there a way to validate a string against a regular expression.. i.e size=`printf "$var | wc -m` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression to exclude pattern

Hi All I am using regular expressions to determine how to group certain data. I've included an example of the data below. USD_SPTR_2Y_725.5_PUT_EUROPEAN_09Q1|USD||European| CAD_NDX_10Yx1Y_5.5_PUT_EUROPEAN_09Q1|CAD||European| The regular expressions I am using is as follows and this is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk + pattern search with regular expression

Hi , I have a file with "|" (pipe) as a delimeter. I am looking for the record count where 5th field is a number with 15 digit length only. all the records with above requirement is valid rest all are invalid. I need count of valid records and invalid records. Can anyone please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate time pattern using regular expression

Hi, I am new to scripting. please help me in validating the user entered time Pattern Here is the program #!/bin/bash validateTimeFormat() { checkTime=$1 timePattern="::" if ] then echo "Valid time pattern" return 1 else echo "InValid time pattern" return -1 fi } echo "Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvenu88
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression for Random pattern

What would be the regular expression that can search for a Pattern, having 8 characters out of which atleast 1 digit, 1 lower case, 1 upper case letter and 1 special character must be there. But these can occur at any place randomly. Please help me out. I'm using find $dir -name "*.txt" -exec... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Kr.
0 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression to validate sql's

Hi, I have 2 different templates of sql's in a single file. From each sql I am trying to extract different segments of the sql's. Please note that the number of fields and conditions would vary based on the sql. It might not adhere to a single format as below(but will adhere to allowable sql... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search (regular expression in UNIX)

Hello , Could anyone help me to define the string in regular expression way . Below is my string \rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss Helv;}{\f1\fnil MS Sans Serif;}} {\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue0;} \viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\lang1033\f0\fs16 The string will always start as \rtf1 and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Regular Expression in Date ls command

Hi, I have got a problem in a regular expression with a file name containing date. I am using a regular to display the file in ls, but by using the same it gives me file name does not exist. --## File exist when I do ls. ls amey_in20131018.csv --## File name not showing when I use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression repeat pattern

Hi, I'm struggling with very very simple task but dont know where I'm going wrong. Have the following file numbers.txt 1 12 123 1234 12345 123456 1234567 12345678 123456789 1234567890 9876543210 987654321 98765432 9876543 987654 98765 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)