Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - DNS / Issues / Help Post 302413257 by sbk1972 on Thursday 15th of April 2010 04:44:56 AM
Old 04-15-2010
Solaris 10 - DNS / Issues / Help

Hi all

Long time no speak, I hope you are all well.

Im looking at a DNS issue here and reckon Igot a AD / DNS server issue elsewhere but need to rule out the configuration of my two server's first.

IVe got the nameserver enteries in /etc/resolv.conf and dns in the /etc/nsswitch.conf

In solaris 10 do I have to svcadm enable svc:/network/dns/server:default
? Ive noticed a few of my other solaris 10 server's have this service disable, but dns still works, i.e. if I do a nslookup.

ALso, how does nscd play a part in this ?? I can see the enteries in /etc/nscd.conf. Is this controlled by the service /system/name-service-cache:default ??? If I disable this and do a ps-ef | grep nscd, the nscd process is still running. ??

Can someone explain these bits to me ??

Thanks

SBK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS on Solaris 2.6

I just setup Solaris 2.6 on my Sparc 10 and I cannot figure out how to configure my DNS settings. I am using @home as my ISP and they assigned me two DNS servers to use and a domain. I created a "resolv.conf" file in my etc folder and added the following exactly as shown: domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS on Solaris 9

I installed bind 9 on Solaris 9 (intel) but don't know how to have the named service start on bootup. Is there a script hidden somewhere? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddaniels
2 Replies

3. Solaris

DNS on Solaris 9

How do I set the Primary and secondary DNS name server for a Sparc IIi running Solaris 9. I have already put them in the resolv.conf file but they still do not work. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atreus
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dns issues

Just recently we have been having some dns issues. Some websites won't work i.e. (www.msn.com, aimexpress.aim.com...) I have manually put A records in my named.db file and in the hosts file to try to get it to work but still they do not work. I have looked up updating my named.ca file for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickyt00
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Linux Redhat ES 4.0 - DNS Config Issues

Hello all, I've a very strange thing hapenning in my Sys, I've configured the IP, DNS eveything for my internat connection, but Im only able to browse Redhat.com websites. I cant open anyother site!!! :eek: Im sure the internet is configured 'coz it displays the list of avail updates for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijithS
11 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

DNS upgrade issues, bind9.5.0_P1

so we had bind 9.3.0... we upgraded to 9.5.0 patch 1 we kept the exact same named.conf now we have a problem that some DMZ server cant do lookups from our DNS slave anymore. in the named.log we see things like this: 22-Jul-2008 16:05:04.694 security: info: client <our DMZ servers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS on Unix box issues

Hi Guys, Just wanted to seek your assistance on an issue encountered with one of our client DNS server query. we have 2 sets of DNS servers.. internal and external. For Internal to reach the external DNS server (DMZ) it has to go through 2 FWs. Current settings: - FW rules for Internal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hotshot8259
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

DNS Server Setup Centos 6.5 Issues

I am having a bit of trouble getting my CENTOS 6.5 DNS server to work correctly in our testlab environment. Lab network is 10.8.0.0/24 in which we all access from 10.7.0.0.0/24 && 10.0.0.0/24. Here are my configs: options { listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 10.8.0.19;}; #listen-on-v6 port 53 {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to add new Solaris client IP into Solaris 10 DNS server?

Hi, We just built a new Solaris 10 zone. And would like to add it to our DNS server. Its also Solaris 10. Please let me know how can I get the IP resolved using this DNS server. I added entry into zone config file but not working. I did restarted the DNS services. And also added nameserver name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
nscd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  nscd(1M)

NAME
nscd - name service cache daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nscd [-f configuration-file] [-g] [-e cachename, yes | no] [-i cachename] DESCRIPTION
nscd is a process that provides a cache for the most common name service requests. The default configuration-file /etc/nscd.conf determines the behavior of the cache daemon. See nscd.conf(4). nscd provides caching for the passwd(4), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), exec_attr(4), prof_attr(4), and user_attr(4) databases through standard libc interfaces, such as gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), gethostbyaddr(3NSL), and others. Each cache has a separate time-to-live for its data; modifying the local database (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, and so forth) causes that cache to become invali- dated upon the next call to nscd. The shadow file is specifically not cached. getspnam(3C) calls remain uncached as a result. nscd also acts as its own administration tool. If an instance of nscd is already running, commands are passed to the running version trans- parently. In order to preserve NIS+ security, the nscd service checks the permissions on the passwd table if NIS+ is being used. If this table cannot be read by unauthenticated users, then nscd will make sure that any encrypted password information returned from the NIS+ server is sup- plied only to the owner of that password. OPTIONS
Several of the options described below require a cachename specification. Supported values are passwd, group, hosts, ipnodes, exec_attr, prof_attr, and user_attr. -f configuration-file Causes nscd to read its configuration data from the specified file. -g Prints current configuration and statistics to standard output. This is the only option executable by non-root users. -e cachename, yes|no Enables or disables the specified cache. -i cachename Invalidate the specified cache. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Stopping and restarting the nscd daemon. example# svcadm disable system/name-service-cache example# svcadm enable system/name-service-cache FILES
/etc/nscd.conf Determines athe behavior of the cache daemon ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), svcadm(1M), getspnam(3C), gethostbyname(3NSL), getipnodebyname(3SOCKET), exec_attr(4), group(4), hosts(4), ipnodes(4), nscd.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5), NOTES
The output from the -g option to nscd is subject to change. Do not rely upon it as a programming interface. The nscd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/name-service-cache Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 30 Oct 2003 nscd(1M)