Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Counting a particular word per line Post 302411028 by bigubosu on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 11:46:48 AM
Old 04-07-2010
Sorry i should've said that im only supposed to do this over 1 line or just as a command. I'm fairly new to using unix tools please forgive me.

so for example listing hte unique words in the file would be

Code:
cat <filename> | tr " " "\n" + sort + uniq

for future replies

Last edited by bakunin; 04-07-2010 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: same here: please use code-tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

option of grep for counting exact word ??

Hi All, I have a quary regarding grep command in linux. I have a file which contains 56677 56677 +56677 +56677 56677 56677 56677 I want to extract total count of "56677" When I hit the following command #cat filename | grep -w -c '56677' the result comes 7. Its counting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of a word

In a file I have to count a particular word. like i need apache how many times. I tried this $ tr "\011" "\012\012"<foo1 | tr -cd "" |sort\uniq -c but I got result like this 32 apache 18 dns 12 doctor Please sugest me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranabrana
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print word 1 in line 1 and word 2 in line 2 if it matches a pattern

i have a file in this pattern MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangaram
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting word xx referred to a time period, like minute or hour

Hello, I try to insert a post because I've got a trouble to perform a unix job. But I didn't found which steps (procedure) I should follow. Could you help me? I got a log by my Application box, like following: gbosmam037:test >view Log_Server.csv ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maluca68
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH - Counting word occurrences in a Web Page

Hi all, I have to do a script bash (for university) that counts all word occurrences in a specific web page. anyone can help me?. Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piacentero
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word counting perl script

Hi friends i need a help on Perl Script In My Home directory, i have some other directories and inside those directories i have some subdirectories and all the directories contains files. Now i want to count a word in all files and i want the output like below wordcount in which file(name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word-counting and substitution with awk

Hi!! I am trying to write a program which allows me to count how many times I used the same word in a text: {$0 = tolower ($0) gsub (/_]/, "", $0) for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++) freq++ } END { for (word in freq) printf "%s\t%d\n", word, freq It seems work but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ettore8888
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting Word Appearance

How do you write a script that counts the number of times a word appears in a file and output it? Original: ID1 SMARCB1;Adil;Jon ID2 Jon;Annie;Mei ID3 Adil;Spaghetti;NBA ID4 Raptors;wethenorth;SMARCB1 ID5 SMARCB1;wethenorth Objective: SMARCB1: 3 Adil: 2 Jon: 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lipidil
5 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)