Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting absolute path for a script ran with relative path Post 302410946 by ygemici on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 08:12:46 AM
Old 04-07-2010
MySQL

Code:
$ cat test.sh
currentpath="`pwd`/"
currentscript=`echo $0 | sed 's/^[./]*//'`
echo "pwd : `pwd`"
echo "script name: $currentpath$currentscript"
echo "dirname: `dirname $currentpath`"

Code:
$ ./test.sh
pwd : /my/test/dir/struct
script name: /my/test/dir/struct/test.sh
dirname: /my/test/dir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining absolute PATH within KSH script

Hey everyone, I'd like to determine the absolute path of where a script resides from within the same script. For example, I have a script - /tmp/myscript. Regardless of how that script is call - '/tmp/myscript', 'cd /tmp;./myscript', '. /tmp/myscript' - I'd like to be able to determine - from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsatch
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting full path from relative path

given a relative path, how do i convert it into a full one. i.e. if i am in /home/polypus and i am given foo/bar then to get a full path i can just concatinate it with pwd, but what if i am given "../mama" how do i programmatically convert: /home/polypus and ../mama into ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polypus
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with absolute path and relative path

I'm having problems accessing the Knoppix software on my current computer and the replacement CD I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I have a guess at what the answer would be for this question but I am not sure as I cannot test it with the software. I have to create a directory called class, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzero
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the relative path

suppose i ahve a shell script Nsdnet.sh inside a directory /dialp/Release/bin another file nsdnet_file.csv is under the same directory. Now in the shell script i have call a java file, which reads the csvfile from the commandline. Now when i run the file as $ ./Nsdnet.sh ./nsdnet_file.csv then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert relative path to absolute path?

Hello Everyone, I want to convert Relative Path - /home/stevin/data/APP_SERVICE/../datafile.txt to Absolute Path - /home/stevin/data/datafile.txt Is there a built-in tool in Unix to do this or any good ideas as to how can I implement this. -Steve (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relative path not safe

Hallo everyone, I am running an SQL-Script over KShell-Script. Thus, in the KShell-Script there are these lines: WORKPATH=$PWD/work EXPORTDIR=export_meine_datei_bitte EXPORTPATH=${WORKPATH}/${EXPORTDIR} ... db2 connect to ${DBNAME} || die "can not open database connection" db2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratnalein88
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cp command using relative path?

I have a lab I am doing for a Linux Operating class. The question I am stumped on is "For the following questions, only use the cp command to copy files. You should currently be inside your lab07 directory. Create a subdirectory inside this directory called ones and copy (working ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CodyMongrel
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
PATHINFO(3)								 1							       PATHINFO(3)

pathinfo - Returns information about a file path

SYNOPSIS
mixed pathinfo (string $path, [int $options = PATHINFO_DIRNAME | PATHINFO_BASENAME | PATHINFO_EXTENSION | PATHINFO_FILENAME]) DESCRIPTION
pathinfo(3) returns information about $path: either an associative array or a string, depending on $options. PARAMETERS
o $path - The path to be parsed. o $options - If present, specifies a specific element to be returned; one of PATHINFO_DIRNAME, PATHINFO_BASENAME, PATHINFO_EXTENSION or PATHINFO_FILENAME. If $options is not specified, returns all available elements. RETURN VALUES
If the $options parameter is not passed, an associative array containing the following elements is returned: dirname, basename, extension (if any), and filename. Note If the $path has more than one extension, PATHINFO_EXTENSION returns only the last one and PATHINFO_FILENAME only strips the last one. (see first example below). Note If the $path does not have an extension, no extension element will be returned (see second example below). If $options is present, returns a string containing the requested element. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.0 | | | | | | | The PATHINFO_FILENAME constant was added. | | | | +--------+--------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 pathinfo(3) Example <?php $path_parts = pathinfo('/www/htdocs/inc/lib.inc.php'); echo $path_parts['dirname'], " "; echo $path_parts['basename'], " "; echo $path_parts['extension'], " "; echo $path_parts['filename'], " "; // since PHP 5.2.0 ?> The above example will output: /www/htdocs/inc lib.inc.php php lib.inc Example #2 pathinfo(3) example showing difference between null and no extension <?php $path_parts = pathinfo('/path/emptyextension.'); var_dump($path_parts['extension']); $path_parts = pathinfo('/path/noextension'); var_dump($path_parts['extension']); ?> The above example will output something similar to: string(0) "" Notice: Undefined index: extension in test.php on line 6 NULL NOTES
Note For information on retrieving the current path info, read the section on predefined reserved variables. Note pathinfo(3) is locale aware, so for it to parse a path containing multibyte characters correctly, the matching locale must be set using the setlocale(3) function. SEE ALSO
dirname(3), basename(3), parse_url(3), realpath(3). PHP Documentation Group PATHINFO(3)