Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TAB key in AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAB key in AIX Post 302409780 by welldone on Friday 2nd of April 2010 11:59:41 AM
Old 04-02-2010
TAB key in AIX

Hi,
I want to use the TAB key to list directory (or go to directory or file).
For example,

dir1/dir2/file1

now if i do

$ cd /d and hit TAB it should go to 'dir1'.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAB key

hi, :) When i press TAB key twice at $ prompt i am getting the following mesage "Display all 3797 possibilities? (y or n)" could u pls tell me the meaning of this message. cheers RRK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tab key in a script

Hi, How do I execute/emulate the <Tab> keypress from within a script? Any pointers will be helpful. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: innocentspirit
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Tab key and History

Hi, I'm newbie with HP-UX. My Unix install with DB Oracle. In linux, when we type directory we don't need to type full. We can use Tab key. In Unix, i cannot use Tab key and i need to write whole directory. Other thing, how use Arrow key in Unix? I mean use command already i type. Is it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzainal
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to make "tab" key in mksnt tool kit case sensitive?

I am using MKS Toolkit on windows7, i observed that when i use "tab" key to complete a file/dir name converts into lower case. Eg: I am having a directory named "Dir1", note "D" is in caps. In unix if i had tried pressing "d" and "<tab>" resulted in no result. However in mksnt toolkit, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris how to enable auto tab key?

Hi, On Solaris 10, how do I enable the auto tab key? For example, on the Linux, I can type few letters and press the tab key. How do I do the same on Solaris? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading user input...problem with tab key

Hi all, I have a little problem with my shell script (reading user input, save user input to variable, invisible characters in the log file :() printf "1. What's your file path?" /path/to/my/file read -e FILE I have invisible characters in my log file (e.g. <ESC> or ^G) when I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: splendid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Print whole string ending with a Tab if key matched

Hi , I am looking to print the whole string from file2.txt but it is only printing 77 but not the whole matched string from File2.txt Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Script awk ' BEGIN { OFS="\t" out = "a.txt"} NR==FNR && NF {a=$0; next} function print_65_11() { if... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH connection killed by Tab key

Hello, I have a very weird problem with my ssh connection. After I log on the server for a while, when I wanted to change directory by pressing Tab key to save some typing, my connection to the server is lost! First I checked my bash-completion setting, which I could not find any problem with,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match tab-delimited files based on key

I thought I had this figured out but was wrong so am humbly asking for help. The task is to add an additional column to FILE 1 based on records in FILE 2. The key is in COLUMN 1 for FILE 1 and in COLUMN 1 OR COLUMN 2 for FILE 2. I want to add the third column from FILE 2 to the beginning of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
8 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)