Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Serializing script Failing for more commands Post 302408456 by nkamatam on Monday 29th of March 2010 02:23:17 PM
Old 03-29-2010
That command works with ksh - I am hoping it will work on Solaris also.

Code:
$ cp /etc/passwd testfile
$ grep -E abcd testfile | cat > testfile
$ cat testfile
abcd:x:100:100:ABCD,,,:/home/abcd:/bin/bash

I think the critical sections are those that are removing and adding lines to the queue.
That is,
Code:
echo $pid_line >> $queue_file

and
Code:
grep -vE $pid_line $queue_file | cat > $queue_file

I agree that inspite of my logic to re-add accidentally removed jobs back to the queue, there could be some problems.

But, I think this is what I have to go ahead with given the fact that there will never be more than 20 jobs at any given time - and anything more than this will be an overkill for the functional requirement that I have.

I am thinking writing some C program with named pipes when I have more time and money.

I am surprised that there is no easy way of doing this on Unix.

edit by bakunin: i provided the code-tags you surely have just forgotten - no problem, but please bring them with you the next time. Thank you.

Last edited by bakunin; 03-29-2010 at 05:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX script failing ....

Hi folks, I have written down a UNIX script which actually FTP the file to other server. What is happening now , this script is not working only for 1 server , as it is working for 32 different FTP server . In this particular server , we are getting message “FTp:550 access denied”... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khan1978
1 Replies

2. Programming

serializing logging output mult. proc. inst deamon

Hello, i have an interresting topic today C++ on solaris. lgpl stuff applicable. My program is a deamon process wich takes input from network, then processes the data, and outputs reformatted to network. We're generating a lot of logging output. the logging is absolutely unbuffered at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heck
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

failing a unix script

i am basically DWH professional. I want to write a script such that whenver the file size is greather than 0 the script fails plz help me in this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands failing inside the shell script

When my script deals with large input files like 22Gb or 18 GB the basic commands like sort or join fails when run from inside the shell scripts. Can there be any specific reason for this? For e.g. sort -u -t "," -k1,1 a.csv > a.csv.uniq" sort -u -t "," -k1,1 b.csv > b.csv.uniq" The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script failing on Solaris 10 and working on 8

I have a script and code is like this .. if ]; then it's compiling about @ . what's the wrong in Solaris 10 with this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script running for one iteration and failing the second one

Hi, I am using Tclexpect to automation testing on switches and using regexp and the buffer outputs the program is running well for one iteration and failing the second one... can anyone please guide me what is the mistake i am making? Thanks Here is the small version of the program, while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roh_20022002
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP Failing - In Script

I create a file that may contain several full path name files on a remote Linux that are to be copied. This file, called AWKOUTPUT is created from another script. It contains: X/picture1.png The script is very simple ------------------------------------------- REMOTEDIR="/var/CC/Stuff"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohrsville12
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script test failing

Testing some old script developed by different user. #!/usr/bin/sh case "$0" in */*) cmd="$0";; *) cmd=`which "$0"`;; esac dir=`dirname "$cmd"` node="$dir/." echo $node below two simple tests are failing, I am not seeing any Control+M characters in the script file and I am not able... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab script failing

Hello, A crontab script is failiing everyday but when we execute manually it runs fine Below is the script scheduled: 00 23 * * * sh /db2backup/scripts/db2_hot_backup.ksh TRAVFF > /dev/null 2>&1 Error: cat TRAVFF_online_04022014_2300.log Started : Wed Apr 2 23:00:00 EDT 2014... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)