Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: errors while using getline
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting errors while using getline Post 302407446 by asalman.qazi on Thursday 25th of March 2010 12:09:56 PM
Old 03-25-2010
errors while using getline

i wrote following script to test getline

Code:

BEGIN{
 while ( "who" | getline > 0)
 nr++
 print nr
}

when i run this script as

Code:

awk -f scriptname

i get the following output

Code:

awk: syntax error near line 2
awk: illegal statement near line 2

please let me know what is going wrongSmilie

Last edited by vgersh99; 03-25-2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: fixed code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getline with a unique

I have an inputfile that I trying to awk with a getline(Solaris v8 ksh). However I need to have the results be a unique. Is there a comparable command within awk to return a unique result? Or can you break out of the awk to add a uniq. I am looking for something more complex then a pipe... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

utility of getline here?

hi , I got a script that I don't understand. awk '{ command="echo "$1 command | getline echome close(command) print $0 "\t" echome }' < user.list It reads the file user.list user.list London John Bridge Peter and sends the stream to the awk command. I don't understand what is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: remid1985
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline help maybe?

hello collegues, I am attempting to use awk to search file1 (serverlist.csv) from each row with file2 (supported.txt). If the is no entry exists in serverlist then output to a file called notsupp.out if there is an entry output to supp.out I can do this with basic shell scripting however... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline

How do you make the getline function return to the original line? The example below should make it clear where I am currently going wrong. Thanks AWK SCRIPT: ------------- awk -F '-' '{ tmpLine = "EMPTY" print "CURRENT LINE :"$0 getline tmpLine print "NEXT LINE :"tmpLine }'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethsays
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getline in awk

I am using awk and want to use getline from a file like below getline x < file However file consists of two columns and I only want to store $2 Any way I can do this? ---------- Post updated at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:45 AM ---------- Done something like this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Programming

getline()

I can not get 'getline()' to compile. I have tried. string curLine; //= compiler error char* curLine; //=compiler error char curLine; //=compiler error Every example I see uses a string as a getline(); parameter. It does not work for me on Fedora14 with gcc-c++. Thank you so much. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk getline

I'm running the script below and get the output below against a file with lineA=aaa lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I get output: lineC=ccc lineD=ddd I need the output to be: lineB=bbb lineC=ccc lineD=ddd cat filename | nawk '/lineA=aaa/ { getline; do { getline (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

getline from another file

Here is I want to do: find lines in file filteredtrace.txt which is not continued as a multiply of 4 and strip them from file original_trace_framno. problem is awk used the ' symbol so pipe of getline has to use the " symbol while agument of sed has to use the " symbol, it doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzq420241
8 Replies

9. Programming

getline() and fclose()

Hi All, When I do man getline on my Linux system (in BASH), I see an example C code where a file is being read using getline() function. Now, my question is why there is no fclose() to close the open file pointer? People who don't have a Linux system, this is the code that I am referring... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getline

Hi, I have an awk script with the following function in it . function cmd( c ) { while( ( c | getline foo) > 0 ){ return foo ; close( c ); } } c =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MetaMan
4 Replies
GETLINE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						GETLINE(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- get a line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#define _WITH_GETLINE #include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict linep, size_t * restrict linecapp, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict linep, size_t * restrict linecapp, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads a line from stream, delimited by the character delimiter. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with the newline character as the delimiter. The delimiter character is included as part of the line, unless the end of the file is reached. The caller may provide a pointer to a malloced buffer for the line in *linep, and the capacity of that buffer in *linecapp. These functions expand the buffer as needed, as if via realloc(). If linep points to a NULL pointer, a new buffer will be allocated. In either case, *linep and *linecapp will be updated accordingly. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters stored in the buffer, excluding the terminating NUL character. The value -1 is returned if an error occurs, or if end-of-file is reached. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. The fwrite() function is used in case the line con- tains embedded NUL characters. char *line = NULL; size_t linecap = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linecap, fp)) > 0) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); free(line); COMPATIBILITY
Many application writers used the name getline before the getline() function was introduced in IEEE Std 1003.1 (``POSIX.1''), so a prototype is not provided by default in order to avoid compatibility problems. Applications that wish to use the getline() function described herein should either request a strict IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1'') environment by defining the macro _POSIX_C_SOURCE to the value 200809 or greater, or by defining the macro _WITH_GETLINE, prior to the inclusion of <stdio.h>. For compatibility with GNU libc, defining either _BSD_SOURCE or _GNU_SOURCE prior to the inclusion of <stdio.h> will also make getline() available. ERRORS
These functions may fail if: [EINVAL] Either linep or linecapp is NULL. [EOVERFLOW] No delimiter was found in the first SSIZE_MAX characters. These functions may also fail due to any of the errors specified for fgets() and malloc(). SEE ALSO
fgetln(3), fgets(3), malloc(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
These routines first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. BUGS
There are no wide character versions of getdelim() or getline(). BSD
November 30, 2012 BSD