Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO New line being stripped from sed command Post 302406350 by jgt on Monday 22nd of March 2010 04:09:53 PM
Old 03-22-2010
What's wrong with
Code:
echo $VAR >tmpfile
cat logfile >>tmpfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command [ printing a pattern + its line no or line no alone ]

Hello friends, Only very recently i started learning sed command...an i found that sed is faster in finding the patterns than some of my scripts that uses grep to check the patten inside a file using line by line search method which is time consuming. The below script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the command use to combine line using sed

Hi all, What is the sed command use to combine line? Example: Below is an output after extracted from few commands aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg and i would like to combine all the line as shown below, aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete line

HI, Im using the below commmand to delete lines having "(" at the start of a line. sed -e '/^(/d' But i need a command to delete lines that has only "(" in it and no other strings. infile - asdf asdf ( asdf ( asd outfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete everything after > on line

I have a large data file that I need to edit. There are lines like, > <IDNUMBER> (ST000002) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000002) > <IDNUMBER> (ST000004) > <SUPPLIER> (ST000004) and I need to delete everything after the >, excepting the end of line. > <IDNUMBER> > <SUPPLIER> > <IDNUMBER> > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line - awk, sed

My input file gfile values is CTRY=GM&PROJTYPE=SP&PROJECTTYPE=Small+Project If i am giving PROJECTTYPE then it must give Small Project awk -F"&" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i ~ "^"PAT) {sub ("^"PAT"=", "", $i); sed 's/'+'/""/' $i ; print $i }}' PAT=$1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
UPSLOG(8)						      Network UPS Tools (NUT)							 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog ups logfile interval [format] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is [upsname@]hostname[:port]. logfile Store the results in this file. You can use - for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. interval Wait this many seconds between polls. Remember that a poll is not instantaneous, so it will slip back as the program runs. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient library. format The string to log, including variables from the UPS. Valid escapes within this string are: %% - insert a single % %TIME format% - insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% - insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% - insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% - insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% - insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% - insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battpct% %VAR utility% %VAR loadpct% [%VAR status%] %VAR upstemp% %VAR acfreq% SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep() after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its pid to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.exploits.org/nut/ NUT mailing list archives and information: http://lists.exploits.org/ Wed Oct 16 2002 UPSLOG(8)