Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users A file system visible for solaris and windows? Post 302404355 by Dann-E on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 09:57:23 AM
Old 03-16-2010
Bug

Normally, I am going to work with that hard disk in solaris. But sometimes, I need to take some data from that hard disk into another computers which run windows.

So the fact of using special drivers for windows so it can read the hard disk is not very viable. Because that means I will have to install those drivers in every windows machine I use.

I'm gonna study this NAS box solution, and if it doesn't work, I will just use a fat32 file system. Anyways it's just a data hard disk. I dont want to install any operating systems on it.

Thank you all for your help. Tomorrow I will tell you how the experiment finished.

Regards!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Please help me, about the file sharing with windows system

Did anybody can teach me how to set the premission in the samba server? How to i set the premission in one folder but two access right. With one folder but the user access rights is diffirent. One user can full access the folder, and another one user only read only. thx for helping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudlor
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to Install Solaris 10 on top of Windows system

Hi Guru's, Since Iam learning Solaris 10 and want to instal it on to my computer in which 'Windows' is already installed. Also many other applications including Oracle, Java etc,. were also installed associated with Windows. Now how can I install Solaris 10 on my system with out affecting my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Linux

UNMOUNT a windows file system

Hi, I try to unmount : smbumount /mnt/directory But I receive : Could not umount /mnt/directory: Device or resource busy Any idea ? Many thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Junk characters in file not in Solaris, but visible in linux

Hello All, I have a DOS file which I run a DOS 2 UNIX utility on. When run from Solaris, I can view the file perfectly. But, when run from linux, I see a bunch of junk(^@) at the beginning of every line in the file. Does anyone know the cause of this? COMMAND TO CONVERT: tr -d '\015\032'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Viewing Solaris File System From Windows Client Using Lanman

Hi I currently have a Windows mapped network drive on a PC which is connected to the network. Also on the network is a Solaris box running Solaris 8 which I can view (root file system) from the Windows PC. The mapped network syntax is sharename\\server name. When I select this mapped drive on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Windows network share visible to Solaris 9 host and vice versa

Hi, I have a Windows server running WinSVR 2008R2 with a network share configured \\hostname\JSS_Share I would like to be able to mount this share on a Solaris host running Solaris 9. I would also like to mount a directory on the Solaris host and make it visible to the Windows server. The idea... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamba1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking user for input file location using a .sh file in windows system

Hi all, I am creating a .sh file in windows environment using notepad. i need a code which i can write in this .sh file so that it asks me for an input file stored anywhere in my C drive of my windows computer. Please help me out with this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bansalpankaj88
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

how to mount a file system from a solaris server into an hp-ux system

Hi all I wonder if its possible to mount on a hp-ux server a file system that was previously mounted on a solaris 10 server. The LUN is on NetApp stoarge. The problem on hp-ux I cannot do pvcreate on the lun (disk) because contains data. Any help will be appreciated FR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ext2 file system from windows

Hi all, I have some problem with the ext2 file system format. In particolar, I have a unix based system full backup, which is a .iso file. In order to create a bootable usb, i have to format the USB with ext2 FS, and then I have to mount that image on it. The problem is that, I need to it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Piros
3 Replies
hdio(7I)							  Ioctl Requests							  hdio(7I)

NAME
hdio - SMD and IPI disk control operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/hdio.h> DESCRIPTION
Note - The SMC and IPI drivers have been discontinued. dkio(7I) is now the preferred method for retrieving disk information. The SMD and IPI disk drivers supplied with this release support a set of ioctl(2) requests for diagnostics and bad sector information. Basic to these ioctl() requests are the definitions in <sys/hdio.h>. IOCTLS
HDKIOCGTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() gets specific information from the hard disk. HDKIOCSTYPE The argument is a pointer to a hdk_type structure (described below). This ioctl() sets specific information about the hard disk. /* * Used for drive info */ struct hdk_type { ushort_t hdkt_hsect; /* hard sector count (read only) */ ushort_t hdkt_promrev; /* prom revision (read only) */ uchar_t hdkt_drtype; /* drive type (ctlr specific) */ uchar_t hdkt_drstat; /* drive status (ctlr specific, ro) */ }; HDKIOCGBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to get the bad sector map from the disk. HDKIOCSBAD The argument is a pointer to a hdk_badmap structure (described below). This ioctl() is used to set the bad sector map on the disk. /* * Used for bad sector map */ struct hdk_badmap { caddr_t hdkb_bufaddr; /* address of user's map buffer */ }; HDKIOCGDIAG The argument is a pointer to a hdk_diag structure (described below). This ioctl() gets the most recent command that failed along with the sector and error number from the hard disk. /* * Used for disk diagnostics */ struct hdk_diag { ushort_t hdkd_errcmd; /* most recent command in error */ daddr_t hdkd_errsect; /* most recent sector in error */ uchar_t hdkd_errno; /* most recent error number */ uchar_t hdkd_severe; /* severity of most recent error */ }; SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 13 Aug 2002 hdio(7I)