Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display lines not starts with # Post 302403327 by thillai_selvan on Friday 12th of March 2010 05:38:56 AM
Old 03-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Actually, I think it should be:
Code:
grep "^[^#]*" file

otherwise you will filter out empty lines too

No this is totally wrong.
It will match the lines that begins with #.
* matches the zero or more occurrence of the previous character.
So it will take it as "other than beginning with hash" it will consider as zero occurrence and will
match the lines that begins with #.

Last edited by thillai_selvan; 03-12-2010 at 06:59 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

display all lines

Dear Experts, can any one tell me how to display all lines except the last line of a file using awk. take care Regards, SHARY (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that starts with a certain letter

How can I delete those lines that starts with a certain letter? abc def ghi xyz abc def ace gik moq abe imq gxm I want to delete the line that starts with "x". Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display last few lines

I have huge text files and I only want to display on the screen the last lines. with less -G file.txt i get the beginning of the file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FelipeAd
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy lines that starts with either 3 or 4 into new file?

Hi Guys, I have an awk script that would search the input file for line that starts with a number 3 and copies into a new text file. I want to extend this script to find the lines that either starts with 3 or a or b and copy all those lines into the new file. Here is what I have so far:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amith821
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem ---to remove the lines which starts with one type of character

Hi, I have one file, I need to check if file exist or not and then remove the lines which starts with ? My file1.out data is some thing abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr ????????? ????????? Output should be in test.out abcabcppp xyzxyzpqr I am getting the output as below but the File does not exist... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramyajiguru1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines to one line when line starts with and ends with

example: comment Now_TB.table column errac is for error messages 1 - first 2 - second 3 -third ; in this example I need to be able to grab the comment as first word and ; as the last word and it might span a few lines. I need it to be put all in one line without line breaks so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines

I have requirement in my every files starting lines have # needs to be not processing or exclude the that lines. I have written a code like below, but now working as expected getting ERROR" line 60: 1 #!/bin/sh 2 echo ======= LogManageri start ========== 3 4 #This directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)