Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Duplicate Files On Remote Servers Post 302402398 by alister on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 06:42:22 PM
Old 03-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokland
The -d option is used to set the delimiter between fields. If your xargs does not have this option, you can omit it; it will work fine except for filenames with spaces
That's understating the matter. It will not work properly for filenames with spaces, tabs, newlines, single quotes, and double quotes.

You can improve the robustness of the pipeline by passing the output of ssh through
Code:
tr '\n' '\0'

and using xargs' -0 option. This will render it impervious to any characters except embedded newlines in filenames (which I assume is very unlikely to occur unless someone has been drinking and admining). If you retool to use `find -print0`, then there'd be no need for the tr filtering and even embedded newlines would be handled properly.

Also, the rm command in the original post needs some quoting to prevent field splitting damage.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicate files in a directory

Hi ppl. I have to check for duplicate files in a directory . the directory has following files /the/folder /containing/the/file a1.yyyymmddhhmmss a1.yyyyMMddhhmmss b1.yyyymmddhhmmss b2.yyyymmddhhmmss c.yyyymmddhhmmss d.yyyymmddhhmmss d.yyyymmddhhmmss where the date time stamp can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asinha63
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all duplicate lines from all files in one folder

Hi, is it possible to remove all duplicate lines from all txt files in a specific folder? This is too hard for me maybe someone could help. lets say we have an amount of textfiles 1 or 2 or 3 or... maximum 50 each textfile has lines with text. I want all lines of all textfiles... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate files based on text string?

Hi I have been struggling with a script for removing duplicate messages from a shared mailbox. I would like to search for duplicate messages based on the “Message-ID” string within the messages files. I have managed to find the duplicate “Message-ID” strings and (if I would like) delete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spangberg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate files in same directory

Hi all. Am doing continuous backup of mailboxes using rsync. So whenever a new mail arrives it is automatically copied on backup server. When a new mail arrives it is named as xyz:2, when it is read by the email client an S is appended xyz:2,S Eventually , 2 copies of the same file exist on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/shell need help to remove duplicate lines from files

Dear All, I have multiple files having number of records, consist of more than 10 columns some column values are duplicate and i want to remove these duplicate values from these files. Duplicate values may come in different files.... all files laying in single directory.. Need help to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files on two remote servers simultaneously?

dear all, i'm preparing a script which can do these actions : 1. stop remove server's certain service 2. clean the files on remote servers simultaneously (because lots of files need to be deleted) 3. after files/logs are removed, restart the service again i'm stuck on how to clean remote... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate files

Hi, In a directory, e.g. ~/corpus is a lot of files and subdirectories. Some of the files are named: 12345___PP___0902___AA.txt 12346___PP___0902___AA. txt 12347___PP___0902___AA. txt The amount of files varies. I need to keep the highest (12347___PP___0902___AA. txt) and remove... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Copying files between two remote servers

Hi All, Please help me for a shell. I am a New to unix I am trying to DB dump file from one server and copying it to another server. From My Local ServerA connecting to remote ServerB using ssh and taking dump of a instance. That Dump file i need to copy to ServerC. I am able to connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddyd2k
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Remove duplicate lines from text files.

So, I have text files, one "fail.txt" And one "color.txt" I now want to use a command line (DOS) to remove ANY line that is PRESENT IN BOTH from each text file. Afterwards there shall be no duplicate lines. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all but newest two files (Not a duplicate post)

TARGET_DIR='/media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/' REGEX='{4}-{2}-{2}_{2}:{2}' # regular expression that match to: date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M' LATEST_FILE="$(ls "$TARGET_DIR" | egrep "^${REGEX}$" | tail -1)" find "$TARGET_DIR" ! -name "$LATEST_FILE" -type f -regextype egrep -regex... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
XARGS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs -- construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0oprt] [-E eofstr] [-I replstr [-R replacements] [-S replsize]] [-J replstr] [-L number] [-n number [-x]] [-P maxprocs] [-s size] [utility [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited strings from the standard input and executes utility with the strings as arguments. Any arguments specified on the command line are given to utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from the standard input of xargs. This is repeated until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote char- acters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a backslash. The options are as follows: -0 Change xargs to expect NUL (``'') characters as separators, instead of spaces and newlines. This is expected to be used in concert with the -print0 function in find(1). -E eofstr Use eofstr as a logical EOF marker. -I replstr Execute utility for each input line, replacing one or more occurrences of replstr in up to replacements (or 5 if no -R flag is speci- fied) arguments to utility with the entire line of input. The resulting arguments, after replacement is done, will not be allowed to grow beyond replsize (or 255 if no -S flag is specified) bytes; this is implemented by concatenating as much of the argument contain- ing replstr as possible, to the constructed arguments to utility, up to replsize bytes. The size limit does not apply to arguments to utility which do not contain replstr, and furthermore, no replacement will be done on utility itself. Implies -x. -J replstr If this option is specified, xargs will use the data read from standard input to replace the first occurrence of replstr instead of appending that data after all other arguments. This option will not affect how many arguments will be read from input (-n), or the size of the command(s) xargs will generate (-s). The option just moves where those arguments will be placed in the command(s) that are executed. The replstr must show up as a distinct argument to xargs. It will not be recognized if, for instance, it is in the middle of a quoted string. Furthermore, only the first occurrence of the replstr will be replaced. For example, the following com- mand will copy the list of files and directories which start with an uppercase letter in the current directory to destdir: /bin/ls -1d [A-Z]* | xargs -J % cp -Rp % destdir -L number Call utility for every number lines read. If EOF is reached and fewer lines have been read than number then utility will be called with the available lines. -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the -s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -o Reopen stdin as /dev/tty in the child process before executing the command. This is useful if you want xargs to run an interactive application. -P maxprocs Parallel mode: run at most maxprocs invocations of utility at once. -p Echo each command to be executed and ask the user whether it should be executed. An affirmative response, 'y' in the POSIX locale, causes the command to be executed, any other response causes it to be skipped. No commands are executed if the process is not attached to a terminal. -r Compatibility with GNU xargs. The GNU version of xargs runs the utility argument at least once, even if xargs input is empty, and it supports a -r option to inhibit this behavior. The FreeBSD version of xargs does not run the utility argument on empty input, but it supports the -r option for command-line compatibility with GNU xargs, but the -r option does nothing in the FreeBSD version of xargs. -R replacements Specify the maximum number of arguments that -I will do replacement in. If replacements is negative, the number of arguments in which to replace is unbounded. -S replsize Specify the amount of space (in bytes) that -I can use for replacements. The default for replsize is 255. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name, the arguments passed to utility (including NULL terminators) and the current environment will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 4096. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If utility is omitted, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. If a command line cannot be assembled, or cannot be invoked, or if an invocation of utility is terminated by a signal, or an invocation of utility exits with a value of 255, the xargs utility stops processing input and exits after all invocations of utility finish processing. EXIT STATUS
The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be found, xargs exits with a value of 127, otherwise if utility cannot be executed, xargs exits with a value of 126. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1), execvp(3) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. The -J, -o, -P, -R and -S options are non-standard FreeBSD extensions which may not be available on other operating systems. HISTORY
The xargs utility appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
If utility attempts to invoke another command such that the number of arguments or the size of the environment is increased, it risks execvp(3) failing with E2BIG. The xargs utility does not take multibyte characters into account when performing string comparisons for the -I and -J options, which may lead to incorrect results in some locales. BSD
March 16, 2012 BSD