Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut string from a line into a variable Post 302400858 by tmf33uk on Thursday 4th of March 2010 10:00:28 AM
Old 03-04-2010
Cut string from a line into a variable

Hi,
I am working on a ksh script and I´m stuck on the following:
I have to get the pthread_id from a procstack file for a particular tid#.
---------- tid# 1274057 (pthread ID: 1800) ----------
---------- tid# 1736913 (pthread ID: 4019) ----------
---------- tid# 1478705 (pthread ID: 4269) ----------
---------- tid# 1876087 (pthread ID: 4465) ----------
---------- tid# 1912849 (pthread ID: 3086) ----------
---------- tid# 425991 (pthread ID: 2828) ----------
---------- tid# 1954017 (pthread ID: 1543) ----------
---------- tid# 2064419 (pthread ID: 1286) ----------
---------- tid# 1491095 (pthread ID: 1029) ----------
---------- tid# 2265101 (pthread ID: 772) ----------
---------- tid# 418027 (pthread ID: 515) ----------
---------- tid# 1867819 (pthread ID: 258) ----------
---------- tid# 2281679 (pthread ID: 1) ----------
---------- tid# 1851497 (pthread ID: 2571) ----------
---------- tid# 2199627 (pthread ID: 2314) ----------
---------- tid# 450699 (pthread ID: 2057) ----------

I can grep the output file by "tid#" or by the tid# number itself, but what I would like to obtain is the pthread ID. Lets say, I have tid# 1876087 to grep by.

Variable pthread identifies currently the whole line that contains my $TID:

echo pthread=`cat "${OM}_procstack_${PID}.txt" | grep $TID`

Can somebody help me to cut the 4465 from this line? I would like to put it into a variable so I can use it.

Both numbers on the line (tid# and pthread ID) can vary in length, and I can´t just awk and call it $6 because I do not want the ')' after it. Also, I think you awk files, not lines nor variables, right?

I do not want *everything from ':' to ')' * as there are a varying number of spaces, so I´m not sure how to go about this. I am sure one of you is going to make this sound so easy-peasy in a minute.. Smilie/

Thanks in advance!
T.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cut a string from a variable

Hello All, I have a string type variable called "FULLSTR". This variable has a value of "path=/type/source/logs". I need to cut the characters after the character "=" to end of the string. Example: the new variable "MATCHSTR" should have value like this... "/type/source/logs" So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjaisan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut end string from line

HI, I want to cut end string from line. e.g. i have following input line /users/home/test.txt I want to get end string 'test.txt' from above line and length of that end string will change and it always start after '/'. Thanks, Visu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Line and sent as variable for each string

Hi , I want to read below output, lets called it output1.txt and each string for every line will be declare as a variables. This is the input file 196 server_a server_unix_2 FW 196 server_b server_win_1 CD 196 server_c server_win_2 CD 196 server_bd ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sQew
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a string from a variable

hello, i need to cut a string in unix but not from file ,, from variable, i searched on special line , and i need a specific data from this line , i get it on variable, how can i cut data that i need ??? merci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a string from a variable

I want to cut column 1 to 5 echo $somevariable | cut -c 1-5 not working (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut line up to a string

hi all In my bash script I want to cut a line up to a specific string and keep the rest of it but only up to a ".How can I do that?I imagine something with sed.. Let's say my line is: Jennifer Jones (student) "id:376765748587/7465674775" NewYork and i only want to keep: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting double quoted string from a line when line number is variable

I need to remove double quoted strings from specific lines in a file. The specific line numbers are a variable. For example, line 5 of the file contains A B C "string" I want to remove "string". The following sed command works: sed '5 s/\"*\"//' $file If there are multiple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rennatsb
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip to next line if the variable is string

Hi I have the follwoing requirement I have a file as follows: # cat priy yyy.poweroff_cmd = /sbin/poweroff hhh.powersave-nap = 1 When this file is provided as input, I first used "awk" command and saved variables present after "=" replace=$line replace1=`echo $line | awk -F "="... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies
PROBE(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						       PROBE(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_probe - Check if message has arrived. SYNOPSIS
C int bufid = pvm_probe( int tid, int msgtag ) Fortran call pvmfprobe( tid, msgtag, bufid ) PARAMETERS
tid Integer task identifier of sending process supplied by the user. msgtag Integer message tag supplied by the user. msgtag should be >= 0. bufid Integer returning the value of the new active receive buffer identifier. Values less than zero indicate an error. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_probe checks to see if a message with label msgtag has arrived from tid. If a matching message has arrived pvm_probe returns a buffer identifier in bufid. This bufid can be used with pvm_bufinfo to determine information about the message such as its source and length. If the requested message has not arrived, then pvm_probe returns with a 0 in bufid. If some error occurs bufid will be < 0. A -1 in msgtag or tid matches anything. This allows the user the following options. If tid = -1 and msgtag is defined by the user, then pvm_probe will accept a message from any process which has a matching msgtag. If msgtag = -1 and tid is defined by the user, then pvm_probe will accept any message that is sent from process tid. If tid = -1 and msgtag = -1, then pvm_probe will accept any message from any process. pvm_probe can be called multiple times to check if a given message has arrived yet. After the message has arrived, pvm_recv must be called before the message can be unpacked into the user's memory using the unpack routines. EXAMPLES
C: tid = pvm_parent(); msgtag = 4 ; arrived = pvm_probe( tid, msgtag ); if ( arrived ) info = pvm_bufinfo( arrived, &len, &tag, &tid ); else /* go do other computing */ Fortran: CALL PVMFPROBE( -1, 4, ARRIVED ) IF ( ARRIVED .GT. 0 ) THEN CALL PVMFBUFINFO( ARRIVED, LEN, TAG, TID, INFO ) ELSE * GO DO USEFUL WORK ENDIF ERRORS
These error conditions can be returned by pvm_probe. PvmBadParam giving an invalid tid value or msgtag. PvmSysErr pvmd not responding. SEE ALSO
pvm_bufinfo(3PVM), pvm_getminfo(3PVM), pvm_nrecv(3PVM), pvm_recv(3PVM), pvm_unpack(3PVM) 30 August, 1993 PROBE(3PVM)