Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk output redirection to file Post 302400636 by learnscript on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 07:03:27 PM
Old 03-03-2010
awk output redirection to file

I have a system stat command running which generates data after 5 sec or so. I pass this data to awk and do some calculation to present the data differently. Once done now I want to pass this data to file as and when generated but doesn't work..unless the first command completes successfully.
Code:
nicstat-1.22/nicstat.Ubuntu7.i386 -i eth4 5 | awk '{print $1 " " ($3+$4)/1024" MBps"}'

This prints something like this:
Code:
Time 0 MBps
17:02:41 0.00254883 MBps
17:02:46 0.00296875 MBps

I want this to be directed to file say /tmp/foo but then I do :
Code:
nicstat-1.22/nicstat.Ubuntu7.i386 -i eth4 5 | awk '{print $1 " " ($3+$4)/1024" MBps"}' > /tmp/foo

It never gets added to foo file.
Thanks for your attention and help.

Last edited by Scott; 03-03-2010 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk two file redirection

Hi, i use awk -F to print three variable delimited by comma $1 $2 $3 if $2=="" i want to extract this information missing from another file using awk -v + some process. but the problem i can't use the two awk together cause of redirection there's a solution. note: i can't use another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection of output to a log file

Apologies for the trivial nature of this question but I cannot seem to get a simple re direct to a log file to work Step 1 touch log.txt at -f batch.sh now >> log.txt I am trying to get the batch.sh contents into the log file Manny Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnCrump
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote server file output redirection

Hi, I want ssh to the remote server and then execute ls and redirect the output to the file in remote server itself like ssh root@$server `ls /var/log/users.txt > root@$server:/home/users.txt` Can you please let me know the correct syntax for it. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output file redirection

Suppose I have a file named a When I write cat a>a The following error message is displayed cat: a: input file is output file and my file a is truncated to zero size. Also the exit status of the last command is 1 Can someone tell me what actually happens when I do so? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aagajaba
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capping output redirection log file length

I am trying to write a script which will output notifications to a logfile, but I would like to cap the logfile to, let's say, 200 lines. Specifically I am using custom firmware, DD-wrt, on my router and I am implementing a script to connect to my work vpn. I have a loop that pings a computer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemommasfat
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection of c binary file to a file in shell script is failing

I am struck up with a problem and that is with output redirection. I used all the ways for the redirection of the output of c binary to a file, still it is failing. Here are the different ways which I have used: ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 2>&1 ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 1>&1 ./a.out |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya29988
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

little problem of file redirection (awk)

I almost reach my objective (Youhouuu !!!!) But I really don't understand why it doesn't work until the end... :wall: For clarity's sake I am taking a very simple example. The operations I am doing in the script (gsub and print) really don't have any importance !!! I just matter about... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection to file issues

Hi, I have a peculiar issue w.r.t redirecting the command output to a file when using loop. I am redirecting command output to same file in a series of if condition statements, but if one block of if condition statement writes the log to the file , the subsequent block of if condition... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file redirection issue

So I'm writing a script which tries to parse human-readable addresses. Part of it is this: print $2, implode(A,1,AN," "), CITY, PROV, POST, COUNTRY, CITYCOUNT>2; CITYCOUNT is a variable between 0 and 3 counting the number of words in a city name. I'm trying to prnt 1 wherever that's greater... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
5 Replies
code(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   code(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
code - capture the namespace context for a code fragment SYNOPSIS
itcl::code ?-namespace name? command ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified command and its associated arg arguments. A scoped value is a list with three elements: the "@scope" keyword, a namespace context, and a value string. For example, the command namespace foo { code puts "Hello World!" } produces the scoped value: @scope ::foo {puts {Hello World!}} Note that the code command captures the current namespace context. If the -namespace flag is specified, then the current context is ignored, and the name string is used as the namespace context. Extensions like Tk execute ordinary code fragments in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a code fragment together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be executed properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up code fragments when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private proc report {mesg} { puts "click: $mesg" } button .b1 -text "Push Me" -command [code report "Hello World!"] pack .b1 } The code fragment associated with button .b1 only makes sense in the context of namespace "foo". Furthermore, the "report" procedure is private, and can only be accessed within that namespace. The code command wraps up the code fragment in a way that allows it to be exe- cuted properly when the button is pressed. Also, note that the code command preserves the integrity of arguments on the command line. This makes it a natural replacement for the list command, which is often used to format Tcl code fragments. In other words, instead of using the list command like this: after 1000 [list puts "Hello $name!"] use the code command like this: after 1000 [code puts "Hello $name!"] This not only formats the command correctly, but also captures its namespace context. Scoped commands can be invoked like ordinary code fragments, with or without the eval command. For example, the following statements work properly: set cmd {@scope ::foo .b1} $cmd configure -background red set opts {-bg blue -fg white} eval $cmd configure $opts Note that scoped commands by-pass the usual protection mechanisms; the command: @scope ::foo {report {Hello World!}} can be used to access the "foo::report" proc from any namespace context, even though it is private. KEYWORDS
scope, callback, namespace, public, protected, private itcl 3.0 code(n)